A Lifelike Kevin Spacey Chews the Scenery in the First Trailer for "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare"

What the new game marks is the arrival of what we always knew was coming: the day when big stars would begin acting in video games, appearing as perfectly rendered versions of themselves to take on characters.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
What the new game marks is the arrival of what we always knew was coming: the day when big stars would begin acting in video games, appearing as perfectly rendered versions of themselves to take on characters.
Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 7.26.06 AM

Since its debut in November of 2007, the flagship Call of Duty game has been the "Modern Warfare" series. But with new console technology comes a giant step forward in both the game itself and the storyline, setting and action it immerses players in.

And so behold, for the next-gen Xbox One console we get the very first next-gen Call of Duty game, the first trailer for which arrived this morning online. In the past, the CoD games have featured some truly exceptional writing talent and voice work, as Variety summed up yesterday:

David Goyer, who helped Warner Bros. reboot its Batman and Superman films, developed the plots and characters in “Call of Duty: Black Ops II” and “Black Ops” in 2012, and 2010, respectively. Stephen Gaghan (“Syriana,” “Traffic”) also wrote last year’s “Call of Duty: Ghosts.”

Actors Gary Oldman, Kiefer Sutherland, Ed Harris, Sam Worthington, Ice Cube, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Michelle Rodriguez, Michael Keaton, Michael Rooker, Idris Elba, Timothy Olyphant and William Fichtner have also been among the many notable names featured as voice talent in the games, while Worthington, Jonah Hill, Omar Sy and Megan Fox have been featured in ads, including last year’s star studded spot directed by James Mangold.

What the new game marks, though, is the arrival of what we always knew was coming: the day when big stars would begin acting in video games, appearing as perfectly rendered versions of themselves to take on characters. Spacey is the first and he adds a tremendous amount of heft to something like Call of Duty, but he won't be the last.

Here's the trailer for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.