Quote of the Day: Fox News Doesn't Even Care Whether an Anti-Government Conspiracy Theory Is True

Every time we start thinking we've seen or heard the worst thing possible from Fox News, something even worse comes along. It's almost unimaginable that words like these would come out of the mouth of a correspondent for a national news organization.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Every time we start thinking we've seen or heard the worst thing possible from Fox News, something even worse comes along. It's almost unimaginable that words like these would come out of the mouth of a correspondent for a national news organization.
Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 11.35.01 AM

"Whether it's true or not, we have to wait to see."

-- Fox News legal correspondent Bob Massi after publicly echoing an Alex Jones-hyped conspiracy theory that tied the federal crackdown on the Bundy Ranch to a plot involving Harry Reid and the Chinese

Every time we start thinking we've seen or heard the worst thing possible from Fox News, something even worse comes along. It's almost unimaginable that words like these would come out of the mouth of a correspondent for a national news organization, that someone would freely admit that everything he's just said up to that point might be utter bullshit. But then, this is Fox News we're talking about -- and it's proven time and time again that it's not a real news organization.

For those who don't know the backstory: During this weekend's Bundy Ranch madness -- in which anyone with romantic delusions of armed insurrection against supposed government tyranny seemed to descend either physically or in spirit via social media on one old deadbeat asshole's ranch in Nevada -- Alex Jones stopped stroking himself long enough to publish a nonsense report about what was really behind the feds' crackdown on Cliven Bundy. No, it wasn't the fact that Bundy decided more than 20 years ago to just ignore the law and has spent the time since not paying a dime to allow his cattle to graze on land that doesn't belong to him. No, it had nothing to do with Bundy refusing to accept the authority of the federal government. The real reason for the government "suddenly" -- after 21 years -- deciding that it's had enough of Bundy's figurative and literal cow-shit involves a deal made by Harry Reid to build a solar power plant on the land Bundy was using, as part of a deal with the a Chinese energy company.

Not only is Jones's conspiracy theory bogus, of course, one of the sites that proved as much was Breitbart. It debunked the story of Harry Reid as Hedley Lamarr, saying that when closely examined "the facts just do not pan out." Granted anyone with a brain would've known this from the beginning given that the story originated with Alex Jones, who's entirely full of shit and should never under any circumstances be taken seriously. But Drudge ran with it and that allowed Jones to tout the traction his big revelation was getting in the "mainstream media." That was just the tip of the iceberg, though, since Fox News was also happy to validate Jones's fever dream, even if it had to admit during the report that everything it was putting out there might not be the least bit true. The network's willingness to be complicit in this farce shouldn't surprise anybody: As long as the report cast the government as an invading force trampling the rights of an average, God-fearing citizen, with the aim of bringing a nefarious international plot to fruition, it would be red meat for the Fox News demographic.

Whether that report is true or not -- well, who gives a damn about that?