Fox News Reporter Pushes Back on Donald Sterling Punishment: 'Is This a Slippery Slope?'

At a much-anticipated press conference Tuesday afternoon, National Basketball Association Commissioner Adam Silver announced that the league is going nuclear on racist L.A. Clippers owner Don Sterling. During the Q and A period, Fox News reporter Jovian Lien previewed the Fox News narrative on the punishment by asking Silver if removing Sterling as owner is a "slippery slope."
At a much-anticipated press conference Tuesday afternoon, National Basketball Association Commissioner Adam Silver announced that the league is going nuclear on racist L.A. Clippers owner Don Sterling. During the Q and A period, Fox News reporter Jovian Lien previewed the Fox News narrative on the punishment by asking Silver if removing Sterling as owner is a "slippery slope."
jovian

At a much-anticipated press conference Tuesday afternoon, National Basketball Association Commissioner Adam Silver announced that the league is going nuclear on racist L.A. Clippers owner and guy whose name sounds like he's commanding you to put on an outfit made from a precious metal alloy Don Sterling. During the Q and A period, Fox News reporter Jovian Lien echoed Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's misgiving that the punishment might be a "slippery slope."

After Silver announced a lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine, and removal of Sterling as an NBA owner, he took questions from reporters. Jovian Lien, a producer for Fox News' The Kelly File, gave a little preview of what tonight's episode might be like asking Silver "Should someone lose their team for remarks shared in private? Is this a slippery slope?"

Silver responded curtly, telling Lien that "Whether or not these remarks were initially shared in private, they are now public, and they represent his views."

Lien's question echoed comments by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who called Sterling's remarks "abhorrent," but added that "“There’s no place for racism in the NBA, any business I’m associated with, but at the same time, that’s a decision I make. I think you’ve got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do.”

When news of Sterling's remarks first broke over the weekend, Cuban's first reaction was to tweet "Its playoff time, no reason to talk about anything in the NBA that does not relate to our Mavs. Lets Go Mavs !!"