Comment of the Week!

This week's Comment of the Week comes from...
This week's Comment of the Week comes from...
Good-Content1-450x3003-450x300-450x300

One of the best and worst things about the Comment of the Week, besides the fact that it has the monetary value of an expired coupon, is that it is completely subjective and at the mercy of whatever mood we here at the Banter are in when picking them.

Sometimes that means I might staunchly defend AaronLitz and JozefAL's ability to distinguish what comic book super-villains were in the picture we used for our article on the United Nations scientists' doomsday plan as the best discussion we had this week on the site...

Screen-Shot-2014-03-31-at-12.16.29-PM-4

Aaron Litz:

"And just because I have to do it, here it goes:

Dr. Sivana, Gorilla Grodd, Ra's al Ghul and Talia, the Pengiun, the Joker, Mirror Master, Captain Boomerang, Lex Luthor, Mr. Element, Mister Mxyzptlk, the Catwoman, the Scarecrow, Abra Kadabra, and the Riddler.

That 10th one was friggin' hard to identify; I had to decipher who it was based on him probably being one of the Flash's Rogues because he was with Mirror Master and Boomer, and since Cap. Cold was there, too, and I could identify who everyone else was, that last guy was probably connected to Flash, too.

Nice gallery of late '80s DC villains; it seems to me a mix of the Rogues Galleries of:

The Batman: (Ra's and Talia al Ghul, the Penguin, the Joker, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, and the Catwoman... doesn't it seem like the Batman and his foes mostly go by titles rather than names, other than Ra's and Talia?)

The Flash: (Grodd, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Captain Boomerang, Mr. Element, Abra Kadabra. Can't say I've ever really been a huge fan of the Flash's Rogues, and I only barely recognized a couple of them.)

Superman: (Luthor and the late '80s post-Crisis Mxy)

And Captain Marvel: (Just Dr. Sivana. Why no love for Billy Batson? They could have added Mr. Mind, Mr. Who, and... Rowdy Sparkle? Well, ok, maybe there really aren'tthat many good Cap. Marvel villains, but Black Adam is just so AWESOME he could handle the job all by himself.)

Sorry, I saw a bunch of supervillains and my geekery just took over.

(It's pronounced MIX-iz-PIT-lick, by the way.)"

JozefAL:

Sorry, but that's Silver Age PRE-Crisis Mxy. Post-Crisis Mxy had these big tufts of white hair on the sides of his head while the pre-Crisis Mxy had more of a modern Sean Connery style (without the beard). The original Mxy wore a full suit (and was originally called MxyzTPlk).

If I had to guess, I'd say the artwork is from a mid-to-late 70s house ad. Probably by Jim Aparo (he tended to be DC's main "house artist" for promotions since he drew just about everyone at DC).

But apparently some people higher up don't appreciate encyclopedic knowledge of niche information like that. So instead, this week's Comment of the Week goes to a community member with an impressive knack for channelling Salon's favorite writer at The Daily Banter, Sam Doloncot.

This week's Comment of the Week comes from...kushiro!

In a response to Sam's kind-hearted approach to the #CancelColbert scandal, kushiro wrote:

"Sam (I hope I do not offend you by using your first name, but I am unaware of your current self-identification and therefore your preferred honorific), as someone who does not share your history and experience as a human being engaged in journalistic and editorial pursuits, I cannot, should not, and shall not comment in a judgmental (or non-judgmental, for that matter) fashion about the content of this article. However, I do salute (though not in a pro-military -- or anti-military, either! -- manner) you for continuing to check your privilege and for speaking your personal truth. I recognize you!"

And we recognize you!

Keep them comments comin'!