BundyFest Might Be the Best Idea Ever

It's called BundyFest and, at first, I didn't think it was anything more than a clever joke in reaction to the ridiculous gathering of rebellion cosplayers and militia hooples at the Bundy Ranch to defend a millionaire scofflaw. But it looks like it's shaping up to be a real thing.
It's called BundyFest and, at first, I didn't think it was anything more than a clever joke in reaction to the ridiculous gathering of rebellion cosplayers and militia hooples at the Bundy Ranch to defend a millionaire scofflaw. But it looks like it's shaping up to be a real thing.
bundyfest

There are very few things as excellent as seeing a group of self-serious libertarians being royally trolled. That's exactly what Sean Shealy of San Luis Obispo, California is doing with an event that he announced on his Facebook page the other day.

It's called BundyFest and, at first, I didn't think it was anything more than a clever joke in reaction to the ridiculous gathering of rebellion cosplayers and militia hooples at the Bundy Ranch to defend a millionaire scofflaw. But it looks like it's shaping up to be a real thing.

Come celebrate TOTAL FREEDOM at BUNDYFEST, just across the street from the Cliven Bundy Ranch, in Bunkerville, Nevada! 240 bands, 24 hours a day, for a SOLID ROCKIN' MONTH!!!!

*NO PERMITS REQUIRED
*CAMP ABSOLUTELY ANYWHERE
*FULL NUDITY NOT A PROBLEM
*GAY-FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE
*PENIS ERECTION CONTEST: Erect the largest penis in the open desert, win valuable prize! (tbd)

BACKGROUND: For years, we paid permitting fees to hold Burning Man on the beautiful Playa in Northern Nevada. But now, Cliven Bundy has shown us a NEW WAY! ABSOLUTE FREEDOM! Bundy has declared the entire area surrounding Bundy Ranch as a TOTALLY RULES-FREE ZONE! ANYTHING GOES! WOO-HOO!!!

Why should Burning Man end on September 1st? Swing down to Vegas for a few days for some R&R, a few good buffets, and then HEAD ON UP TO BUNDYFEST! All 50,000+ Burning Man participants are invited to attend -- and as many more as can make the trip from anywhere in the world! 100,000? 250,000? THE SKY IS THE LIMIT AT BUNDYFEST! The desert surrounding Bundy's ranch is LIMITLESS! :)

The nude-friendly, gay-friendly event is scheduled for September 5 through October 5, which evidently follows on the heels of the the annual Burning Man festival.

Now, full disclosure: my endorsement of BundyFest is in no way an endorsement of Burning Man, which could be the biggest gathering of self-indulgent hipsters, douchebags and temporary hippies on the planet (no offense to Mr. Shealy). The very thought of (hopefully) hundreds of tripped-out, stinky, post-Burning Man hippies and weirdos congregating anywhere would normally make me throw up through my nose to be frank, but in the context of a response to the free land use position of Cliven Bundy and his followers it makes total sense in an ironic, bite-me kind of way.

Photo: Burning Man attendees.

Burning-Man

If Bundy wants to carry on with his clown show -- albeit an armed clown show, but a clown show nevertheless -- then why not help him go all the way and turn it into a real clown show with crappy alt-folk music blasting around the clock and naked, stoned freakazoids dancing and engaging in casual sex in the desert, all in close proximity to Bundy's secessionist cowboys.

After all, if Bundy can use public land without paying the fees for the privilege, then so can the BundyFest gathering. It seems so obvious, it's kind of amazing it hasn't happened already. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if some participants arrived early.

Of course the only downside with such a bold move is the potential for injuries. When you have both a gathering of itchy-trigger-fingered extremists adjacent to a gathering of hippies openly mocking them, anything can happen. I mean, these Bundy cranks actually marched in an old-school line of battle towards Bureau of Land Management rangers. We can only imagine how they'll react to a penis erection contest happening across the street.