Audio: Cliven Bundy Responds to Racism Charge, Doubles Down on ‘Negro’ Remarks

Nevada rancher and racism grenade Cliven Bundy has Republicans and conservatives scrambling to deal with his remarks on the state of “the Negro,” and the BLM bugaboo is not making their job easier. In an interview with Tom Woods Thursday morning, Bundy was asked about the charges of racism being leveled against him, and he responded by doubling down on those remarks.

Woods, filling in for The Peter Schiff Show‘s Peter Schiff, asked Bundy to respond to accusations of racism because of his remarks about black people maybe being better off under slavery.

Bundy doubled down, telling Woods “That’s exactly what I said, I’m wondering if they’re better off under government subsidy, their young women are having the abortions and their young men are in jail, and their older women and children are standing out on the cee-ment porch with nothing to do, you know, I’m wondering: Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were slaves, and they was able to have their family structure together, and chickens and garden, and the people had something to do?”

“And so, in my mind,” Bundy continued, “I’m wondering are they better off being slaves, in that sense, or better off being slaves to the United States government, in the sense of the subsidies. I’m wondering. The statement is right. I am wondering.”

Here’s audio of Bundy’s remarks:

YouTube Preview Image

The premise of Bundy’s followup is actually a popular one among conservatives and Republicans, and aside from it’s prima facie absurdity, that “family structure” garbage is also complete horseshit.

During the 2012 campaign, Michele Bachmann allied herself with an organization promoting this myth. She signed an (anti-gay marriage) marriage pledge which contained a bit of not-so-fine print that made the same stomach-churning comparison between the era of slavery and the presidency of Barack Obama. To be fair, there was a lot to hate in The Marriage Vow, but right at the top of page one was the paragraph that insisted that black children born into slavery had a better shot at two-parent glory than those born under President Obama’s watch: (asterisk mine)

Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household* than was an African American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President.

*except the ones that were whipped to death by their parents’ owners

Yes, how sad! Can’t you just wait to see how The Family Leader came to that conclusion? The study that they cited was published in 2005, which means that any comparison to slavery must be made, not with our first black president, but with our 43rd white one. Furthermore, the data in the study only dates back to 1880, which means they not only had to stretch their pretzel to include Barack Obama, but also to conflate the data with slavery. They appear to be basing their conclusion on these two points from the study:

…in 1880 and 1910 about 56.3 percent of Black and 66.9 percent of White households were nuclear households…(page 8)

According to the latest data, only 35 percent of Black children live with married parents whereas 76 percent of White children do. (page 9)

Any nuclear households in 1880 would have contained exactly zero children “born into slavery in 1860,” or out of slavery, because they would all have been 20 years old by then. This is important, because it demonstrates a specific intent, not just to make a revoltingly stupid comparison between the slave era and the present day (black homelessness was probably lower in slave states, too), but to tie that comparison to our first black president.

If The Family Leader had actually bothered to look at marriage during slavery, who knows how they would have felt about those pro-marriage slave owners:

Most slave-owners encouraged their slaves to marry because they believed that married men were less likely to rebel or run away. Others hoped to increase the size of their slave populations by urging (or, as the case may be, forcing) their slaves to marry and have children. By age twenty, female slaves were expected to have given birth to at least four or five children. To expedite the reproductive process, some plantation owners promised to free female slaves after they had produced fifteen children.

Although many slaves did want to get married, several men confided in their autobiographies that they were reluctant to marry women from the same plantation. For example, as former slave John Anderson explained, “I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated.” Moses Grandy agreed when he wrote that, “No colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defense.”

Furthermore, as the excerpts below attest, one of the biggest dangers that married couples faced as slaves was the possibility of being separated from one another. Because the American legal system did not recognize slaves’ marriage or family ties, slave owners were free to sell husbands from wives, children from parents, and sisters from brothers. According to a study of records kept by the Freedmen’s Bureau, over 32% of slave marriages were destroyed in this way.

Republicans can walk, run, or skip away from Cliven Bundy all they want, but his view of race, and distorted view of history, is nothing new for them.

(h/t TRS)

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • darnash

    I absolutely despise all the people in this country who cannot discuss issues and truth without throwing terms like “slavery” and “terrorist” and “nuclear.” You all do not sound intelligent. But then again, the leftist schools in this country brought up the present generation, a product of the drugged out 60’s, and that is what we get, incoherence and name-calling. The plain fact is that children brought up in loving , responsible, humble two parent families with high expectations of those children are the ones who make it in this country. They do not look to the government for handouts. They never have to do so and they would be too embarrassed to do so. Leave aside all the ridiculous names and labels that most everyone in this country wallows and let’s talk truth. We might actually make progress.

  • sfcmac

    Oh my. The leftwingnuts have their lacy panties in a wad over Clive’s comments.

    The DemProgs are always quick to assign the “racist” label to anyone who criticizes the welfare/entitlement State and the exploitation of minorities as a voting bloc.

    The point made by Bundy is that blacks have gone from the plantations in the antebellum South to the modern Democrat party plantation. In the Leftwingnut rule book of proper PC etiquette, that’s a no-no.

    Even black tea Party/GOP members get a barrage of filthy racist epithets from the blacks, whites, and Hispanics on the Left. Don’t believe it? You haven’t paid attention.

    http://tinyurl.com/lmrhmh4
    http://tinyurl.com/ks4b4xv
    http://tinyurl.com/kjsk9n5

    Skin color is used as an excuse for everything from laziness to bad behavior, and if you disagree, you’re “racist”.

    Don’t think for one minute that the DemLeft minds keeping the poor and minorities in their place. It gives them a demographic to exploit while mouthing platitudes about evil rich (white) corporate owners versus the workers. The myth of the Left being for the working class and minorities has been wrung for all it’s worth. It’s part and parcel of a party that uses exploitation as a campaign pitch for a target audience; a monolithic, easily manipulated voting bloc that is all too willing to participate.

    Minorities are used to push the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac scam, illegal aliens, voter fraud, unconstitutional ObamaCare, class war, and abject hatred of successful business. The same people who buy into that shit and keep voting Dems into office are the same ones who thrive on the welfare state. For them, poverty is a political angle and a lifestyle, not something to get out of.

    The entitlement culture will always expect a hand out, and the Dems will always be there to give it to them. Why work when you can suck off the public teat? That’s the message to blacks and Hispanics. The soft bigotry of low expectations. Your color entitles you to special treatment.

    And as for the past due taxes owed by Bundy: Why don’t Charles Rangel, Al Sharpton, and the IRS employees who either evaded taxes or just didn’t bother to pay them get the same treatment by the jackbooted feds?

    Blacks and Hispanics are immune from MSM criticism because that would be “racism”. The rest of us hyphenated ‘Caucasians’ are sick of it.

  • Michael__Rassbender

    I would like it if maybe just one news outlet put out the entire clip. What he says is clearly over the line, but his reasoning that one form of slavery has been traded for another actually has truth to it. just to clearify, what he says about the cotton picking, and so on ( shown on the edited clips ) are beyond wrong, but i would argue that many minorities are kept in a state of slavery today. His question, would they be better off with the way it was before is complete bull. Its a stupid thing to ask. No doubt. None what so ever. But just listen to the whole clip. Because he clearly states earlier, that infact that is not the case, BUT that somethings have to change in order for these people to get away from poverty ( the new slavery ) What he says about the spanish and mexican families/workers at the end should shock you the most. I wish more right wing “wackos” would say the same thing .

    Transcript of the whole thing:

    “…” and so what I’ve testified to ya’, I was in the WATTS riot, I seen the beginning fire and I seen the last fire. What I seen is civil disturbance. People are not happy, people is thinking they did not have their freedom; they didn’t have these things, and they didn’t have them.

    We’ve progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and sure don’t want to go back; we sure don’t want the colored people to go back to that point; we sure don’t want the Mexican people to go back to that point; and we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies, and do it in a peaceful way.

    Let me tell.. talk to you about the Mexicans, and these are just things I know about the negroes. I want to tell you one more thing I know about the negro.

    When I go, went, go to Las Vegas, North Las Vegas; and I would see these little government houses, and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids…. and there was always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch. They didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for the kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for the young girls to do.

    And because they were basically on government subsidy – so now what do they do? They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never, they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered are they were better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things? Or are they better off under government subsidy?

    You know they didn’t get more freedom, uh they got less freedom – they got less family life, and their happiness -you could see it in their faces- they were not happy sitting on that concrete sidewalk. Down there they was probably growing their turnips – so that’s all government, that’s not freedom.

    Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know I understand that they come over here against our constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people – and I’ve worked side-by-side a lot of them.

    Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structure than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people.”

  • Tyler Marchand

    Clearly, he doesnt hate black people. Or think they deserve to be in slavery. He made comparisons to slavery and being a slave to the united states government. But no, you want to slander him and paint him as hateful. He isnt hateful, or racist. Sure, he is a simple man, he says goofy stuff like “negro”, an incredibly outdated term. But he never said he hates black people, or anything of the sort. How about you try dealing in facts before calling someone hateful when they arent even being hateful. His only fault is being politically incorrect.

    • Aaron Litz

      You see, this is how laughably ignorant and stupid you people are. You seem to believe that the only people who are racist are KKK crazies who actively proclaim “I hate black people.”

      That isn’t the only qualification, my intellectually challenged little friend. Just to offer you some help, saying things like “blacks were better off under slavery” is EXTREMELY racist. Calling blacks “the Negro” isn’t a “goofy outdated term” it is racist.

      That guy is a fucking caricature, as are you for trying to defend him because he didn’t outright say he hated blacks. That is not the sole qualification for being racist, you twit.

      • Michael__Rassbender

        I wish more right wing wackos would say this

        “Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know I understand that they come over here against our constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people – and I’ve worked side-by-side a lot of them.

        Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structure than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people.”

        – Cliven Bundy ( same interview )

        racist scum aint he….. totally……

    • Lady Willpower

      I’m not sure if you understand the definition of the word “clearly.”

  • Mark N Starla Traina

    NAAWP
    OPINION: CLIVEN BUNDY is 100% CORRECT about the NEEGROOWS!

    All
    the PEOPLE in this VIDEO are LIBERAL LIARS, except for COLIN FLAHERTY!

    http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/24/nevada-rancher-cliven-bundy-defends-racist-remarks/20875338/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D468563

    but don’t tell ANYBODY, just let it be our DIRTY little SECRET!

    BLACK
    PEOPLE will SUFFER the MOST once PRESIDENT OBAMA turns all these BLACK
    CRACKHEADS LOOSE!

    HORNY and lookin for a FIX!

    1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9H-bqe-hGY&feature=player_embedded

    2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9H-bqe-hGY&feature=player_embedded#t=62

    3) http://www.mypresidentisnuts.com/blog04.html

    4) http://www.secretsofthefed.com/wtf-stoned-president-obama-olympics-interview-bob-costas-video/

    OBAMA FREES THOUSANDS of CRACKHEADS
    into the follow CRIME INFESTED CITIES & TOWNS:

    1) DETROIT

    2) DENVER

    3) CLEVELAND

    4) ATLANTA

    5) ST. LOUIS

    6) BROOKLYN

    7) NEWARK

    8) MEMPHIS

    9) NEW ORLEANS

    10) BATON ROUGE

    11) SHREVEPORT

    12) MONROE

    13) HOUSTON

    14) DALLAS

    15) PHILLY

    16) COONCARGO

    17) BALTIMORE

    18) OAKLAND

    19) WATTS

    20) ATLANTIC CITY

    21) JERSEY CITY

    22) Charleston

    23) CHARLOTTE

    24) MONGOMERY

    25) HUNTSVILLE

    26) JACKSON

    27) MIAMI

    28) JACKSONVILLE

    29) LOUISVILLE

    30) FLINT

    WHITE PEOPLE are once again WARNED about TRAVELING through these CRACK &
    POT PREDOMONINATELY BLACK BLIGHTED CITIES and TOWNS!

    Who
    is PRESIDENT OBAMA: http://zealnote.com/2013/11/30/obama-childhood-friend-claims-obama-has-always-been-homosexual-lying-cocaine-addict/comment-page-1/#comment-1688

    FACT: “To be FORWARNED is to be FOREARMED!”

    The NAAWP is not ANTI-BLACK, but we are a PRO-WHITE CONSERVATIVE
    CHRISTIAN-BASED ORGANIZATION!

    The NAAWP is not in any way associated with the INFAMOUS KLU KLUX KLAN and we
    don’t believe in RANDON ACTS of VIOLENCE, nor do we PROMOTE RACIAL HATRED!
    BLACKS, HISPANICS, ASIANS and MUSLIMS are WELCOME to JOIN the NAAWP – We have
    an OPEN DOOR POLICY to all RACES, GENDERS and CULTURES!

    FACT: Our MEMBERS came from all WALKS of LIFE and but we converge in our LOVE
    for AMERICA and in our PROUD WHITE HERITAGE!

    NATIONAL ASSOCIATION for the ADVANCEMENT of WHITE PEOPLE

  • Mark N Starla Traina

[...]

      So glad you don’t believe in RANDON (sic) acts of violence.
      And it’s nice to see someone finally taking up the baton for white folks. They never seem to catch a break in this country.

  • UnsaltedSinner

    The marriage vows of slaves used to say “till death or distance do us part”. Because when someone sells your spouse, it gets kinda difficult to uphold that family structure.

  • formerlywhatithink

    This needs to be repeated because it is spot on:

    Republicans can walk, run, or skip away from Cliven Bundy all they want, but his view of race, and distorted view of history, is nothing new for them.

    And all the conservatives now showing faux outrage are full of shit since just about every single one of them has said something either analogous or just as racist.

    • Michael__Rassbender

      I wish more right wing wackos would say this

      “Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know I understand that they come over here against our constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people – and I’ve worked side-by-side a lot of them.

      Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structure than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people.”

      – Cliven Bundy ( same interview )

      racist scum aint he…….

  • Saren Arterius

    Instead of wondering, you could actually ask us and listen and think about the things that are important to us. You won’t, though, so you need to shut what we call the fuck up.

  • Warren G Richards

    racism grenade –ahahaha!

  • Schneibster

    So the latest is it turns out his claims of his family having any rights since the 19th century are all bullshit.

    His parents bought water rights, not grazing rights, in their 1948 purchase of the ranch, when Bundy was 2 years old. Some enterprising reporter from a local radio station went down to the county courthouse and pulled the public records.

    This guy is shit wherever you touch him. He’s a swindler.

    • Michael__Rassbender

      I wish more right wing wackos would say this

      “Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know I understand that they come over here against our constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people – and I’ve worked side-by-side a lot of them.

      Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structure than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people.”

      – Cliven Bundy ( same interview )

  • http://www.osborneink.com/ OsborneInk

    But but but I was always told by (very white but totally NOT racist) self-appointed experts that slaves were treated SO WELL by their masters. It’s just logical that people don’t abuse their property, right? Anyway, that’s what the “good people” have been telling me for thirty years, so it MUST be true. These same white people are also fans of Bundy because PRIVATE PROPERTY, which used to mean “slaves.”

  • aceshigh

    Of course he doubled down.

    Being a Republican means NEVER having to say you’re sorry no matter what horrendous shit you spew.

    Liberals, on the other hand, are constantly browbeaten into apologizing for even the mildest of rhetoric, and I am fucking sick of the double standard.

    • JozefAL

      What’s actually worse is the fact that the rhetoric for which a liberal is browbeaten into apologizing tends to fall into two categories: (A), taken completely out of context by some right-winger or (B), a response to some outrageous (and documented) statement made by a right-winger that has largely been ignored by the “liberal” media.

      And, of course, the apology NEVER satisfies the “offended” Republicon or the rest of the right-wing noise machine/echo chamber which results in daily outrage until the liberal is so thoroughly discredited that he/she is relegated to the status of non-entity. (At least until someone on the far-right says something incredibly outrageous again and the right-wing noise machine brings up the liberal’s comment as a way of making the far-right comment seem trivial by comparison. And with the current attention span of the media, the liberal’s earlier comment is made to appear a million times worse than the right-winger’s comment.)

      • aceshigh

        You SO perfecty nailed the media dynamic that has been driving me crazy for over a decade.

        What right-wingers are great at is pushing a liberal’s buttons until he/she explodes and overreacts rhetorically, just like an annoying kid on a playground who gets punched in the face.

        It happens to me all the time with right-wing trolls…they needle, and needle, and pick, and get all snarky with their made-up bullshit, until I lose it and curse them out, and they go, “See…typical liberal! Can’t win the argument with facts so you resort to profanity and namecalling!”

        But there IS NO ARGUMENT TO BE HAD. First of all, they’re not interested in arguing in good faith. Secondly, 99% of their argument is based on flat-out bogus and fallacious Fox News/AM hate radio talking points.

        So really, what are you supposed to do other than curse them out? I would LOVE to have a civil debate in good faith a conservative, but so few of them exist.

        Our resident troll Steve Skelton is a perfect example of this passive-aggressive wingnut style.

      • Michael__Rassbender

        I wish more right wing wackos would say this

        “Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know I understand that they come over here against our constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people – and I’ve worked side-by-side a lot of them.

        Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structure than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people.”

        – Cliven Bundy ( same interview )

        Total racist aint he……

  • Schneibster

    And the walkback begins.

  • ssj

    I’m wondering if “The Stupid Racist Mormon Rancher” (generic term) would not be better off as a slave than to have to deal with this “oppression” from the federal gummint.

  • maccamcfc

    Peter Schiff having a radio show is more of a shock to me, because lets be honest we all knew that daft old fuck would say something soon that would show his true colours.