Ukraine Crisis Reminds Us To Keep Ignoring Conservatives On Foreign Policy

In case you had allowed yourself to believe conservatives had learned a single thing from orchestrating some of the worst foreign policy in U.S. History during the Bush years, forget about it.

The same gang who led us into Iraq and defended the death and destruction that followed is still wrong on almost everything on under the sun.

As has been the case since about noon on January 20, 2009, the right is insisting that President Obama got it wrong. This time its on Russia and Putin. In their fractured, nonsensical view of reality, Obama is to blame for Putin deciding to invade Ukraine.

This only makes sense if you believe that Barack Obama is the President who peered into Putin’s soul and declared him a good man. This also only makes sense if you believe that Republicans stuck to traditional U.S policy and backed up the Commander In Chief on foreign policy, as Democrats did with Bush on Afghanistan and Iraq until the lies had been exposed.

While I have every reason to trust President Obama, whose foreign policy performance has methodically un-winded the disaster that Bush has left him, he’s had to do it politically with only Democrats and Independent elected officials backing him up (though actual Republican voters have far more loyalty to country over party than the people they have elected, I must admit).

The Republican Party is still the same party who thought it was a good idea to invade Iraq, and to do so on the cheap, who still defends the unnecessary loss of 4,000+ American lives while their two most recent presidential candidates decried the withdrawal from Iraq.

The right is still led by the same gang of neoconservative idiots, from Sen. John McCain to the Weekly Standard‘s Bill Kristol who still have never run across a foreign policy problem whose solution isn’t an American dying on foreign.

They have learned nothing.

youknownothingjonsnow

As a sidebar, I also think that the non-interventionist left hasn’t learned its lessons either, accepting far too much Russian propaganda as actual news because they hate the slightest assertion of American might even at a diplomatic level.

Thankfully the dominant voice within the Democratic Party is more sensible than either this liberal minority or conservative majority. Our current foreign policy leadership is realistic but tough, willing to aim for peaceful goals but not naive to the operation of how the world really works. They aren’t pushing for an armed invasion of Russia, but neither are they willing to lie down like dogs for the imperial-minded Putin.

This sort of leadership moment is about trust. I trust the people who orchestrated the death of America’s worst enemy while also the end of one of its worst wars over the people who let him get away and started that same war in the first place.

  • i_a_c

    As a sidebar, I also think that the non-interventionist left hasn’t
    learned its lessons either, accepting far too much Russian propaganda as
    actual news because they hate the slightest assertion of American might
    even at a diplomatic level.

    Yep. There’s a faction of the left that loves to watch and read Russia Today for a daily dose of America- and west-bashing and is now predictably regurgitating Kremlin talking points. It’s a smallish faction but they’re out there.

  • Robustoman

    The Democrats new term for “Cold War” is now “Global Conflict Change.”

  • AxelFoley

    Well said, Oliver. Damn well said.

  • dbtheonly

    Oliver,

    The point is that the Republicans, & RWMO in general, have no solution beyond attacking President Obama & stating that this wouldn’t have happened if Reagan were President. They are long on rhetoric short on solutions.

    But isn’t this exactly the situation NATO was designed for? It’s time to put the “collective” in “collective security”. And, as I understand it, that’s exactly what President Obama is doing.

  • http://wetcasements.wordpress.com wetcasements

    “they hate the slightest assertion of American might even at a diplomatic level”

    Eh, one of your lamer “both sides do it” attempts.

    The fact is, any use of military force on the part of the US means World War III. This isn’t mythical left-wing hippie propaganda, this is a simple fact. The US has no viable military options in this. Obama has to (and will) push for sanctions and possibly travel restrictions on Russian nationals.

    Unfortunately, while Russia is being belligerent here, the fact is the US regardless of a Rep or Dem president, no longer has the moral authority to criticize the Russias and Chinas of the world with a straight face.

    Saddam was horrible, but Iraq was sovereign nation and we devastated it through invasion and occupation. The US tortures. The US locks people up forever without trials.

    This is more a job for Merkel and Cameron. Obama should offer them his full support.

    • Sabyen91

      “Eh, one of your lamer “both sides do it” attempts.”

      And you reply with a “the US is bad” comment and go on to talk about some moral highground. You say that Obama shouldn’t say anything because of Iraq…that is far leftist pap that ignores that the US is still the most powerful nation on Earth, even after Bush.

      The US doesn’t torture anymore, they don’t lock people up forever anymore and your firebagging is less than helpful.

      • VinceM

        You tell em bro!

        • Sabyen91

          Are you stalking me now? Wonderful.

          • VinceM

            Nah cuz, I just want ya to know I gots your back.

          • GeauxGhoti

            Sabyen, you can NOT keep that dog! Find it a home or we’re taking it to the pound.

      • judi

        ..”.that is far leftist pap that ignores that the US is still the most powerful nation “………….oh please stop.

      • Gunnut2600

        Most peowerful military on earth is pretty pointless if both sides get belligerent and some low level officer lets the nukes fly.

      • http://wetcasements.wordpress.com wetcasements

        Obama should put forward sanctions and support whatever the EU does.

        America might be powerful but we are also hypocrites.

        And Gitmo is still open, dumbass.

        • villemar

          Hey Stupid,

          1) What did President Obama do on January 22, 2009?
          2) How do you relocate overseas prisoners to U.S. soil without Congressional approval and funding?

    • judi

      ” they hate the slightest assertion of American might even at a diplomatic level.”…………read the statement in context.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    And Lindsey Graham, Oliver. Don’t forget that disdainful sack of shit, Lindsey Graham.

  • That River Gal

    Amen, Oliver.