The Daily Banter Mail Bag: Millennial Republicans, Charlie Pierce and Some Dude is Really High Right now

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss Millennial Republicans, Charlie Pierce and some dude is really high right now.
In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss Millennial Republicans, Charlie Pierce and some dude is really high right now.
image

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss Millennial Republicans, Charlie Pierce and some dude is really high right now.

The questions:

1. That GOP ad with the Millennial hipster is hysterically bad. Do you think though that there's a way Republicans might really be able to connect with more young voters and not look like they're pandering?
-- Kris

Ben: No. They haven't got a chance in hell. The party is screwed as they no longer appeal to women, minorities or young people, because their policies actively harm them. People are getting wiser to that fact, and silly marketing tricks no longer work. The ad was fucking tragic, as is their party.

Chez: I don't think it's necessarily incumbent upon any political party to place a high currency on "cool," but the Republicans just aren't cool in any way. They can't even kind of pull it off and they always come off as cringe-worthy when they try. But this goes back to them attributing their problem to the messaging rather than the message itself. While I don't want to paint with a broad brush, Millennials have grown up in an era of unlimited information and communication and instant access to every culture on the planet. Sure, a lot of them make everything about "me" but at the same time they're able to see well outside the confines of the traditional "America," and they've embraced multiculturalism and shunned the exclusionary nature of the GOP. In other words, no, I really don't think they're going to be able to connect with Millennials as a whole, only certain groups in certain places. As for that specific ad, it's a straight-up pander. Gawker basically dissected the reality of "Scott Greenberg" and found out he's just your average well-off Republican douche.

Bob: I don't think younger voters will ever widely identify with the establishment GOP. Libertarians, on the other hand, are a different story. Ultimately, however, young people don't vote all that much, so they're mostly an expendable demographic.

2. You got a pretty strong response from Charles Pierce. Firstly, since Mr. Player is new and might not be used to the arena, how is he handling his beating? Secondly, any reaction to Charles's reaction?
-- Miles

Chez: I'm gonna assume Peter is fine, but it's not my day to watch him around the office. I like Charlie a lot and agree with quite a bit of what he says, but he has defended Greenwald in the past and accused those who take him on of just not liking his personality. (Not wanting to invite Greenwald to dinner was the way he put it, if I remember correctly.) It was interesting to see him kind of distance himself from that and try to make it clear that he's not some simpering Glennbot. I think there's this idea -- wrong though it is -- that because Greenwald exposed some things that certainly were worth at least examining he should get the journalistic benefit of the doubt from the rest of the media, and I think Peter addressed very well that you can admit that there were NSA abuses and still acknowledge that Greenwald is a terrible journalist and a pompous ass who can't take any kind of constrictive criticism without assuming the person administering it is corrupt.

Bob: I have a lot of respect for Charlie, but I've also been on the receiving end of Charlie's "Snowden Effect" posts, too. I have no idea how Peter feels, but I love it when I piss off Charlie. One of these days, we're both going out for drinks with the Stephanie Miller crew. By last call, all of the nation's problems will be solved -- that or a brawl.

Ben: The 'Playa' as we've taken to calling him around here, is doing fine as far as I know. I think he was a bit taken aback by some of the stuff in the comments section (as anyone new to this game always is), but he was on the money if you ask me. I like Charlie quite a bit actually, and read his stuff frequently, but I think Peter raised some excellent points, all of which Pierce didn't really address (but then that's what skilled polemicists do, and Charlie is pretty damn skilled). Not sure whether Peter is going to reply as there isn't really much to reply to anyway, but I hope he does.

3. I'm really high right now. What should I do tonight?
-- Tim

Bob: Keep going, but watch out for those goddamn bats!

Chez: Dude, what's that behind you?

Ben: Well, given you submitted this question on Thursday and it's now Friday, I'm not sure whether you are still high. If you've done a shit ton of weed and are still going, I'd watch something like Gravity while standing on your head (I heard somewhere that it amplifies the high effect). If you're not stoned any more, I would sit down and write some post-it notes to stick around your home reminding yourself not to send emails after a heavy smoking session.