Rep. Issa Cuts Off Rep. Cummings’ Microphone During Heated Committee Hearing...REMIX

“I am a member of the Congress of the United States of America! I am tired of this! We have members, each who represent 700,000 people! You cannot just have a one-sided investigation. There is absolutely something wrong with that, and it is absolutely un-American.”
“I am a member of the Congress of the United States of America! I am tired of this! We have members, each who represent 700,000 people! You cannot just have a one-sided investigation. There is absolutely something wrong with that, and it is absolutely un-American.”
101228_cummings_issa_comp_605_ap

I’m not saying I was some ostrich with my head in the sand before working at the Daily Banter, but I have to admit that over the past 6 months, a lot less has slipped through my cracks.

And it drives me insane.

Because it’s usually the kind of stuff that flows under the populist radar that’s actually the most worthy of news coverage.

Just last week, Bob Cesca posted a quick piece showing the video from an IRS Oversight hearing in which Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) adjourned the hearing even though Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) repeatedly stated he wanted to ask a procedural question and wanted to make a statement:

I have a statement…I have a procedural question….Mr. Chairman, I have a procedural question…Mr. Chairman, you cannot run a committee like this. You just cannot do this…

But yet Issa ignored him, prompting Cummings to become agitated:

We are better than this as a country. We are better than this as a committee...

But Issa calls for Cummings microphone to be muted, causing Cummings to erupt:

“I am a member of the Congress of the United States of America! I am tired of this! We have members, each who represent 700,000 people! You cannot just have a one-sided investigation. There is absolutely something wrong with that, and it is absolutely un-American!”

Yet somehow, this literal example of our elected officials refusing to even listen to each other got buried underneath talking points and sexier topics. Even on this very site, a trolly-titled piece I wrote around the same time about a Millennial bashing The Beatles has twice as many views.

Are we that desensitized to a lack of bipartisanship?

We wouldn’t let our children act this way with one-another, but we complacently allow it to happen with the so-called leaders of our country.

And I don’t care about the politics of it all. With the exception of our backward-ass filibuster laws that I still don’t completely understand, no member of Congress, who is supposed to be the representative voice of hundreds of thousands of Americas, should be left sitting in his chair, at his job, demanding that his peer just sit there and “let [him] say what [he has] to say.”

The Black Caucus has already sent a letter to Speaker of the House John Boehner calling for the removal of Issa from the Oversight Committee, but doesn’t it feel like we should be doing more to denounce this kind of activity?

Shouldn’t we care more?