Michelle Obama Sends Chinese Students A Trojan Horse of Truth About Internet Freedom

While most of our collective American-red blood is currently boiling because of our old nemesis Russia and the relatively new dictator on the block, Kim Jong Un, there's a sleeping giant on the interweb, and Michelle Obama is preparing for the digital world to shake when it wakes up.
While most of our collective American-red blood is currently boiling because of our old nemesis Russia and the relatively new dictator on the block, Kim Jong Un, there's a sleeping giant on the interweb, and Michelle Obama is preparing for the digital world to shake when it wakes up.
MICHELLE-master675-v4

While most of our collective American-red blood is currently boiling because of our old nemesis Russia and the relatively new dictator on the block, Kim Jong Un, there's a sleeping giant on the interweb, and Michelle Obama is preparing for the digital world to shake when it wakes up.

Reuters reports that while on a mission of "soft diplomacy," the First Lady still managed to push China on its extreme censorship when it comes to media and the internet: "It is so important for information and ideas to flow freely over the internet and through the media," Obama said to an audience of about 200 U.S. and Chinese students at Beijing's prestigious Peking University this weekend.

michelle-obama

And while she didn't specifically mention that it's a downright travesty that the Chinese aren't able to access Facebook and Twitter, one could tell that she was furious at the inability to @mention all the #dignitaries she was with whilst pocket Tweeting.

Or she could have been referencing the fact that has "the largest recorded number of imprisoned journalists and cyber-dissidents in the world" and that internet users in the country cannot access information about many controversial topics without special software to circumvent restrictions.