Award-Winning Journalist Thomas Ricks Goes to War Against Greenwald

Of course it’s too late now. Glenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden will never deign to condemn Russia for its surveillance abuses or, specifically, its aggression against Ukraine. Once again, Greenwald and Snowden have been called out for their hypocrisy on this issue and, as we’ve observed, Greenwald definitely isn’t the sort of ego who concedes anything to anyone he perceives as his enemy — and that includes anyone who tweets challenging questions to him, the ranks of which now include two-time Pulitzer Prize winner and national security journalist Thomas Ricks.

You might recall Ricks’ in depth reporting during the Bush years and the Iraq War, along with the time recently when he challenged Fox News Channel’s Benghazi reporting while on Fox News; a trespass that led to the interview being cut short by the network.

Indeed, Ricks, who claims to have been open-minded about Greenwald and Snowden, finally ran out of patience and confronted Greenwald on Twitter regarding his total silence on Russia. Naturally, Greenwald reacted with his usual dollops of petulant smarm.

Predictably, Greenwald’s personal Beetlejuice, Mona Holland, appeared to defend her former law partner (tweet the name “Greenwald” three times and Mona pops into the thread). Greenwald’s disciples piled on and everything descended into a Twitter outrage scrum.

But of course Ricks is right to question the deafening silence from Team Snowden on Russia and, come to think of it, Brazil. Contrary to Greenwald’s too-clever zingers, no one’s expecting Greenwald and Snowden to comment on random issues unrelated to their stations, but when it comes to the nation that’s provided Snowden’s asylum and the nation where Greenwald resides as an expat (Brazil), it’s absolutely appropriate for these heroic crusaders against surveillance and authoritarianism to have spoken out at some point.

–Brazil’s domestic spying program, conducted by its NSA counterpart, the ABIN, recorded phone conversations between a Brazilian Supreme Court justice and one of its senators. Brazil has its very own PRISM surveillance database. It’s spying on social media. It’s spying on activists who oppose the construction of the Belo Monto Dam. It’s currently spying on potentially violent protesters in advance of the World Cup. And six journalists have been murdered in Brazil over the last couple of years.

–Russia is far worse. There essentially aren’t any warrants or court orders needed for mass surveillance of its own citizens. The Russian surveillance apparatus dwarfs the United States’ NSA, and there aren’t any protections or oversight restricting its activity. Russia has a history of imprisoning and even killing journalists and activists alike. And, while we’re here, its record on LGBT rights is atrocious.

All of these issues are squarely in the Greenwald/Snowden wheelhouse — not unrelated, random issues, but specific to Greenwald’s beat and Snowden’s mission statement. This is what makes their silence particularly deafening.

The message we’re getting here is that surveillance and authoritarianism is bad — unless there’s something in it for you. Neither Snowden nor Greenwald are brave enough to admit they need Russia and Brazil to protect them, therefore they won’t, as they say, shit where they live.

That’s just one possible explanation. There’s always the chance, as Ricks insinuated, that Snowden is Moscow’s “useful idiot,” and Greenwald, being Snowden’s primary media flack, is Snowden’s backstop on that front, refusing to throw any punches for fear of the blood-spatters hitting Putin in his mighty pectorals.

Or, as Occam’s Razor might dictate, perhaps Greenwald and Snowden are merely out to embarrass and shame the United States and, as a bonus, its closest allies. Curiously, the only time Russia, Brazil and China have even been mentioned in the Snowden files was in the context of being victims of surveillance, the most laughable case being the Snowden leak about Russia as the victim of spying by Norway. Poor, poor Russia.

Whatever the explanation, and knowing that it’s way too late to change gears now, it’s another indication that Greenwald, along with his source Snowden, isn’t interested in objective journalism. He’s not interested, as he’s repeatedly admitted, in the traditional rules of reporting. And therefore all of his reporting must be taken with an incredulous, critical eye. Set aside the fact that many of his scoops have been based on vague PowerPoint slides without the accompanying narration. Given how there isn’t an editor to provide a counterpoint to Greenwald’s bias, there’s a lot of room here for Greenwald to spin this information however he pleases for maximum outrage and, therefore, maximum traffic.

Journalism, whether it’s “adversarial” or not, can only be trusted when the journalist behind it is beyond reproach and solely guided by a desire to learn the truth regardless of whether it fits snugly into his or her agenda. For a journalist to so obviously color his hard news reporting (different from commentary and op/ed writing) with his highly vocal agenda ought to make any objective thinker wary of his veracity.

What else besides Russia and Brazil is Greenwald leaving out? Which documents are being ignored? Likewise, what information is he hyping or skewing for impact? And can you really trust this obviously agenda-driven reporter to provide details about aspects of the story that don’t conform to his stated goals? Ultimately, we’re getting most of our information about the Snowden files from a guy who can’t be trusted to report rationally, honestly or fairly, based upon, for that matter, a source who claims that the U.S. government is watching literally everything we do; can know your every thought; and which has tricked us into carrying sensors in our pockets.

Following Ricks’ lead, hopefully there will be other serious journalists who begin to ask questions about Greenwald’s motivations and his misleading articles. It can only benefit the broader debate about NSA, because for now, most of the information we’re hearing is badly colored by a reporter with an extraordinarily lopsided agenda.

  • Nick Babcock

    Man. Cesca, Ricks, and seemingly the entire Banter crowd can’t understand trivialities. Greenwald is 100% right here.

  • richard bittner

    How utterly moronic. Snowden’s life and safety hang by the barest of threads and the consumate cfr lapdog ricks proposes he sever the thread. What a totally idiotic proposal. Snowden is trapped in Russia by the U.S. revocation of his passport and the NSA dogboy ricks tries to spin nsa disinformation.

  • Tort Master

    I have always felt that Greenwald would have gotten more scrutiny from real journalists if (a) there wasn’t a brotherhood of journalists that usually stick together, (b) other journalists want access to “secrets” because it’s the lotto for news reporters, and (c) the Fox News and AP had reporters’ telephone records subpoenaed by the Federal at about the time Snowden broke, and that got journalists’ dander up.

    Exposing Greenwald is long overdue.

  • Peter James

    All this reveals is that in addition to being the troll we always knew he was, Greenwald is in addition, a Master “Concern” Troll – probably 9th level.

    How many are willing to bet that he doesn’t have a single article or comment of note of either of those two stories (“Peruvian police corruption, and toxic waste dumping in E Africa”) on his new and shiny website?

    HE’s like the online version of gun-nuts who, when faced with questions following another gun massacre and asked about tighter gun control laws, they immediately pivot and start asking why you’re not concerned at all about all those gun massacres in Chicago or those black neighborhoods – as if they themselves even care about them, other than to use them as convenient tools for deflecting serious scrutiny.

    He’s a “What-about-ist”

    “Yeah, well, What about those chemical dumping in East Africa”

    (right Glenn, because you really care about those East Africans.
    Just like you care about gay Russians and Brazilian protesters.
    Please.)

    • Nick Babcock

      You completely missed the point, man. Congratulations.

  • Lex

    bob cesca are you now engaging in red baiting about those “evil Russians”,

      Are you kidding? You have no idea what red baiting is.

      • Mike Lumisch

        Hi Bob! I never did thank you for your work over the summer. This place was an island of sanity when the netroots went berserker.

    • Mike Lumisch

      Those “evil Russians” haven’t been red in (checks watch) twenty five years.

      Try to keep up with current events.

  • Eudaimon

    greenwald and snowden were probably working with russia the whole time! i knew there had to be some kind of agenda behind what green&snow were choosing to report on. they must be in bed with russia somehow – indirectly? for sure. directly? most likely. here, let me pass out these tinfoil hats to everyone so we can start discussing this topic like adults.

  • Political Info

    RT @froomkin: Essential background reading on @tomricks1 & his judgment:
    http://t.co/LarcWvAeNv
    http://t.co/R36sYptCT9
    http://t.co/38dO8WzxKo

    • condew

      I’m always suspicious of anyone who feels they have to hide the true destination of their links by encrypting them. Is it because this is an effort to get you to visit a site that will infect your computer? Is it because the name of the website alone would discredit the entire post? I don’t bother taking the chance.

      • feloniousgrammar

        Is it kiddy porn?

  • ctrenta

    It would also be great if Glenn Greenwald would say he supports Julian Assange’s alleged rape victims, just as much as he harps on and on about Julian Assange being sought after by the Swedish courts.

    • Scopedog

      Sad thing is, it’ll never happen.

      If it does, I would be very, very shocked.

  • msq

    It really does seem like Greenwald and Snowden are trying to pander to the hardline progressive version of American Exceptionalism. Which is to say, make the U.S. (and to an extent the Western World in general) look as bad and as much of a “threat to world peace” as possible. It also has a side effect of sidelining into Soviet-style whataboutism: if America is as “horrible” as Russia, what’s the point of bringing up Russia?

    Compared to those saps, I’d pick Ricks any day.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Since I don’t do Twitter, someone needs to tweet to Greenwald this:

    You gonna answer Hick’s question, or shall we send you Dr Zoidberg’s Butthurt Cream so that you can apply it to your affected area?

  • Schneibster

    I am utterly on Ricks’ side. I’m his homie; a paying subscriber to Foreign Policy. Let there be no doubt.

    Because of the type of reporting he does, Ricks is directly in touch with the exact people who would know whether Greenwald is lying or not, and they’re telling Ricks he is. I have, on several occasions, noted to Ricks that this was the case; I’m glad to see he’s following up, no doubt on the recommendations of many other people as well.

    With you I hope this is the beginning of the landslide.

  • Chris Carr

    This is one of the better bits of news today.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Greenwald once again shows that he is, at heart, a petulant child. He could have condemned Russia’s crackdown on journalists or he could have just ignore Ricks’ question. Instead, he followed his usual instincts and went into juvenile rant mode. And his legions of flying monkeys couldn’t wait to pile on. Ricks might as cancel his Twitter account, because now that he’s committed the unforgivable sin of questioning the divine wisdom of Greenwald the Great and Powerful, he’s going to be buried in flying monkey poo.

    • msq

      I’m not sure which is even more ludicrous: Greenwald’s antics or Edward Snowden showing up in a TED talk of all places via a robot to start up Call to Arms #500: NSA Harder.

    • Mike Lumisch

      petulant child

      Nailed it! If my daughter were an alpha girl running her gang like Glen does, I would take her phone away.

  • Jon Fox

    Glenn could be worried about Snowden’s fate in Russia if he criticized Russia too much, but thats no excuse to avoid any criticism of Russia’s crackdown on the internet inside of Russia. The only plausible explanation is that Glenn is effectively rooting for or working to further the Russian gov’s policies. Or both.

      True, in which case, he never should have advised Snowden to go someplace like Russia in the first place. Hell, I could have told him not to go there. He’d have been better off in the U.S. Quite frankly I would rather be sitting in a Federal prison than be Putin’s plaything and prisoner. At least here, we have rule of law and a day in court.

  • MarlboroStan

    Nothing in these docs, thus far, says any of these programs are targeted at Americans.

    • feloniousgrammar

      Which might explain why they resorted to telling the world the shocking news that the U.S. has and does spy on people in other nations. So does Denmark. We should all be shattered by this.

      • Mike Lumisch

        Which gets me thinking… (always a bad idea) quite apart from the issue of so many people going shoutycrackers over the NSA,

        The fact that what we may broadly speaking call “the left” has completely rupture over this matter, it suggests that there was some great unresolved tension in “the left” that predates 6/9/13. Does anyone have thoughts of this tension/energy? I for sure did not see it coming.

        And in light of this, why was the NSA bogeyman the detonator that set off the explosion? I suspect that the libertarian in Greenwald is quite happy with this result, although I can not believe that it was his purpose.

        • feloniousgrammar

          “Shoutycrackers”— I like.

          There has always been know-it-all assholes who claim to be liberal.

  • MarlboroStan

    Greenwald loves to show us Slide 45 of the presentation. What about Slide 1? How do we know Slide 1 doesn’t say something like this?

    Penetrating Foreign Terrorists Email Accounts

    • Mike Lumisch

      Good point.

      And how do we know that Slide 45 was not cut and pasted by Glen’s intern?

      Trust in his journalistic integrity, one must suppose.

  • JB20005

    Glenn has been exposed.

    While he founded an org. called the Freedom of the Press Foundation, he could actually give a fudge about that issue.

    He’s worried about protecting his meal ticket living in Moscow.

    • petesh

      I confess I had forgotten about that irony. Reading through its “About” page, I note the occasional nod to “journalists around the world” but the entire framing is U.S. focused, down to the reliance on “the rights guaranteed to the press under the First Amendment.” This is very reminiscent of the naiveté Greenwald showed in the early Bush years, and leads me to wonder just when he will develop a sophisticated global analysis. He certainly doesn’t have one now.

  • Razib_Taif1

    fuck it, i’m changing my mind about both Putin and Greenwald. Are they narcissistic intellectual middlings with zero self reflection? I don’t doubt it. But Putin just conquered the Crimea while the West wet its pants and Greenwald is making millions being a third rate smart ass on twitter. We’re the fools, not them.

    • dbtheonly

      Okay,

      What would you have the West do or have done?

      • feloniousgrammar

        Make mean faces and pump of warlike jingoism? Why is it that people who hate the imperialism of the U.S. more than any other imperial nation ever, suddenly bitch about a Presidential Administration that is circumspect instead? Head I win, tails you lose?

        • dbtheonly

          FG, it comes from both sides. To Fox “News” if President Obama finds a cure for cancer, the headlines will read, “Obama throws medical researchers out of work”. To the “emo-prog” Left; because Bush invaded Iraq because a bunch of Saudis flew into the WTC, the US has no right to complain about anyone else invading anywhere- anytime.

          But I guess I’m an Obamabot ’cause he’s doing the things I consider the correct moves.

          In Polish, how does one say, “I am a Pole”?

          • feloniousgrammar

            Jestem Polakiem?

          • dbtheonly

            Not quite the same “oomph” of, “Ich bin ein Berliner”, eh?

          • feloniousgrammar

            It does not appear to have that je ne sais quoi.

          • Mike Lumisch

            You packed way too much Suceed into this comment.

            Fox does what it does, but I simply can not understand the emo-progs and their taunting of Kerry over Bush’s misdeeds. At the time they were all INVASION IS EVIL (as was I, actually) but now they are all ‘whatevs’.

            I guess they are still disappointed about that pony.

            Which gets me thinking. We all know that a lot of people projected their own hopes onto candidate Obama, which were inevitably dashed by the reality of President Obama (the inevitable fate of candidate Warren, should she heed their siren call).

            We know that many of the emo-progs went for Nader in 2000, deliberately throwing the election to Bush on the theory that things would get so bad that he would be so awful that the People would leap over the spineless Democrats and embrace the Radicals as the saviors of the nation.

            Perhaps they sincerely believed that their cunning plan had suceeded and that Obama really was a covert Radical himself, just waiting for the moment to declare. That would explain the bitterness of their sense of betrayal.

      • Razib_Taif1

        Just cave and give in – we should simply dismantle the NSA and CIA like Greenwald wants. He also has stated that we should also jettison most of our flight and border screening, so that’s out as well.

        • dbtheonly

          Really?

          I suggest you read about the foreign policies of the Jefferson Adninistration. You might find parallels to your proposals.

  • Inane Rambler

    As Kissinger said about Iran-Iraq, why can’t they both lose?

    • Mike Lumisch

      Kissinger went through a gallon of bleach every day, scrubbing the blood off his hands.

  • ruth crocker

    This crude understanding of the world demonstrates why Greenwald couldn’t even get elected dog catcher, or whatever office was he ran for in New York, and has his most passionate followers (see certain comments below) among people only capable of the most rudimentary binary thinking. Why can’t one be critical of America and Russia at the same time? Why can’t one criticize Obama and Putin at the same time? If you disagree with some NSA programs, why is the entire national security apparatus bad? If you hate the NSA, how come you have to hate the whole country?If you disagree with some Obama policies, why must everything he does be bad? If you approve of one thing Snowden does, why must you approve of everything he does? The only case where this doesn’t seem to apply for these people is the causes they champion – if press freedom and privacy rights are paramount one place, they aren’t paramount everywhere.

  • js hooper

    Ricks (an actual journalist) is now enemy #1 for the Snowaldians for simply asking a basic question…”what’s your opinion on Russia’s actions?”

    For this egregiously aggressive inquiry the authoritarian smear merchant Ricks must be vanquished!!!

    Lmao.

    I’m sure the crew at the Intercept is preparing a piece on Ricks this minute. It’s amusing how willing Greenwald & crew are to show their asses at the slightest provocation.

  • Frito

    So is this where we’re getting? In order to criticize the US, one must criticize other countries first, or at least reside in the US? This has to be one the worst lines of attack from Team Surveillance. I guess that means that Bob will be moving to Russia in order to continue producing his critical pieces on the country.

    PS – The ABIN wiretap in Brazil was cooked by a notorious right-wing rag – Veja magazine, the audio proof was never presented to the public, and it was used to derail a serious investigation on a major brazilian banker, so mission accomplished!

    • Lady Willpower

      “Team Surveillance”

      Wow.

      • Frito

        Why wow?

        • petesh

          Why Manichaean?

        • sealiagh

          Why wow? Because it is a ridiculous leap to state if A) one criticizes Greenwald, Snowden, et al therefore B) they must be A-Okay with the “Surveillance State.” But, hey, you do you.

          • Frito

            As opposed to being lumped into “Team Snowden” if you don’t agree with Bob’s shoot the messenger coverage of the NSA story. You guys are pathetic.

          • sealiagh

            Okay, great, now you’ve clarified you aren’t on Team Snowden – good to know.

          • Lady Willpower

            So stop coming here, then.

          • ruth crocker

            He can’t – Sir Frito of Blathermore’s epic quest is to vanquish every greensnow foe with his rapier-like intellect and debating skills. He thinks he’s just one comment away from bob and the whole family of daily banter readers recanting and begging for his forgiveness and that of his great overlord, while greensnow presents him with a knighthood.

          • formerlywhatithink
          • ruth crocker

            well done, formerly! just one small thing – sir frito has a crumpled corn chip bag on his shield, not a lion.

          • formerlywhatithink
          • ruth crocker

            The Frito Bandito meets Sir Galahad – fantastic!!

          • Mike Lumisch

            Holy crap, I just shit my pants.

          • repugnicant

            I’d encourage more of them to come here and stand on this soap box. Many are cocooned in their 24/7 Snowden Messiah sites and the fresh air will do them good.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Moar tears pleeze. They’re yummo!

          • formerlywhatithink

            Bob’s not shooting the messenger, he asking why the messenger isn’t consistent with his message.

          • Mike Lumisch

            But you really are “Team Snowden.”

            I you were to call out to “Team Bob,” I might very well answer.

            “Team Treason,” that would be a different matter. Eh, Cornchip?

            Mike, you’re killing me…..Cornchip! Absolutely perfect

          • 624LC .

            That is the logic of his folks. And you wonder why no one in the administration pays them any mind.

          • raina

            logic isn’t their forte.

    • trgahan

      “In order to criticize the US, one must criticize other countries first, or at least reside in the US?”

      No one is saying that but you. Nor do I believe it was the point of Bob’s post. Sorry you don’t have an actual defense of Greenwald’s blatant and childish hypocrisy when asked a simple question by Mr. Ricks. Try something along the lines of one of HayesOose’s pithy comments…because deflection and projection isn’t working.

      • Frito

        Greenwald never came across as an authority on Russian affairs. AFAIK, he’s been writing about the US forever. When you write about things you don’t know very well, you end up looking like a fool. Just look at Bob using a notorious brazilian right-wing rag to score cheap points against Greenwald

        • repugnicant

          I do believe you’re serious. Wow.

          • petesh

            Has our little plaything learned the meaning of “wow” now (brown cow)? Or do you think you will have to explain it?

        • 624LC .

          Oh Please: you greenwald fanboys are the worst in articulating anything other than cut and paste talking points and conspiracy drivel.

        • ruth crocker

          You have to be an expert to say suppression of the press in Russia is bad? Just today, Putin warned people against dissenting with his Crimean policy – do i need to be an expert in civil liberties to say warning against free speech by a country’s leader is alarming? And since you seem to be an expert about Brazil’s surveillance programs, by all means enlighten us as to how they are not encroaching on privacy rights there.

        • trgahan

          Greenwald openly admitted he knew nothing of IT, computers, or internet security when he first published on NSA/Snowden story….how does that speak to your assertion that people who write about what they don’t know look foolish?

        • raina

          He never came across as an NSA expert either, and he still isn’t, but there you go.

          He hasn’t only condemned the US. He condemned Britian, Australia, and other western allies. One wonders why. Is he an expert on British affairs? Australia?

          Stop fluffing Greenwald.

        • nathkatun7

          “When you write about things you don’t know very well, you end up looking like a fool.”

          Look in the mirror, “fool.”

    • repugnicant

      I find you people fascinating, especially when you try to explain, with twisted logic, why only U.S. citizens deserve human/civil rights, or why facts are only required when someone is raining on your parade. That ‘true believer’ tent is getting really small.

      • Frito

        Wait – where did I write that “only US citizens deserve BLAH BLAH BLAH”?

        • repugnicant

          LoL.

          Wow.

          • formerlywhatithink

            Hey, it’s tough juggling multiple sock puppets. Sometimes, a person might forget what he wrote using which account.

    • raina

      It’s partially due to Snowden’s statement: “These nations, including Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and
      Ecuador have my gratitude and respect for being the first to stand
      against human rights violations carried out by the powerful rather than
      the powerless. By refusing to compromise their principles in the face of
      intimidation, they have earned the respect of the world. It is my
      intention to travel to each of these countries to extend my personal
      thanks to their people and leaders.”

      So, of course, people are justified in asking him what he thinks about Putin’s crackdown on journalists, the Crimea mess, etc. And Greenwald, too, since he is his handler and PR agent.

    • nathkatun7

      Your hypocrisy is dripping all over the place!

    • Mike Lumisch

      Hi, Cornchip! Long time no see.

    • Peter James

      And how do you defend Russia?

      How do you defend Putin’s crackdown on Press freedom and independence, their open infiltration of a neighboring country in violation of a non-aggression pact that THEY signed with said neighbor, the open violation of the rights of their gay citizens?

      How do you defend all that while you’re busy coming up with excuses for Brazil but conveniently ignoring (As Greenwald did), what Snowden’s benefactor is now currently involved in?

      Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E?

  • mrbrink

    Funny how a little safe house asylum in an authoritarian state can buy the silence of a so-called journalist hot on the trail of a book deal. It’s the Russian code of silence, or ‘self-censorship.’ He can now lump himself in with every journalist he blasts for covering for Bush over Iraq.

    A real journalist wouldn’t dare play coy over this, which makes relying on Greenwald for honest reporting all the more dangerous to a reality-based debate. How can anyone trust someone who can’t bring themselves to state the obvious?

    For the first time ever, Reporters Without Borders has listed the U.S. as an “internet enemy,” because Greenwald would call them names like he does everyone else if they didn’t.

    “While the U.S. doesn’t censor online content and pours money into promoting internet freedom worldwide,” they have to be on the list! They just have to!

    Prosecuting “whistle blowers” has nothing to do with internet freedom. And the NSA isn’t taking anyone’s freedom away. But when you’re cramming Edward Snowden’s fleet foot into every glass slipper in town, even the fairy godmother is going to have to call bullshit eventually.

    Meanwhile, the country that shall remain nameless:

    Russia has been on a downward slope for more than a decade. Until fairly recently, however, the Russian government did not directly censor the Internet, preferring instead to employ subtle strategies to control online discourse. In 2012, that changed, when the Russian Duma overwhelmingly passed a bill allowing the creation of a national blacklist of websites. Today, that blacklist continues to grow, while the government continues to seek new ways of limiting online speech.

    And Greenwald continues to drive Putin’s getaway car for the heist of U.S. national security secrets because admitting there are far more dangerous threats to democracy and internet freedom out there would make his little act look ridiculously sensational by comparison. We won’t be free until Glenn says we are! But first, a riddle, on behalf of his Russian sponsor: What’s black and white and red all over? Obama’s legs in a blender! Hahaha…silence, O-Bots!

    He’s now cornered. But I feel sorry for anyone who comes to his defense, even while he jerks their leashes to stop them from eating through the fence around his fake-journalist castle moat.

    • Lady Willpower

      Well stated, mr. B.

    • Scopedog

      Got it in one, Mr. B.

    • Chris Carr

      Nicely put.

    • msq

      I think the other flaw in Snowden and Greenwald’s vision is treating internet freedom and “the Internet” itself as the absolute arbiter for human rights and just about everything. It’s no wonder that this is tying in oh so conveniently to all this talk for an internet Magna Carta.

      • feloniousgrammar

        Pretty white problem, especially when taken in consideration with the fact that the U.S. has done nothing to violate internet freedom. It’s like they’re demanding that they be invisible on the internet. It’s like they’re demanding the right to walk in a bank with a mask on, then be allowed to walk out with the loot and anything shy of that is oppression.

    • Political Info

      RT @froomkin: Essential background reading on @tomricks1 & his judgment:

      1) “Too Close for Comfort? Tom Ricks and the military’s new philosophical embeds” http://bit.ly/1mgtOoC

      2) A Tiny Revolution: Washington Post’s Thomas Ricks Courageously Waits Four Years To Tell Us What He Thought About Iraq’s WMD http://bit.ly/1fYBf0m

      3) The Sins Of General David Petraeus http://bzfd.it/1lN9msu

      Bob Cesca: “Award-Winning! Argle Bargle!”

      • mrbrink

        Woof-woof, little doggy. Good for you. Now, what does any of that sorry attempt to discredit Ricks have to do with Greenwald’s deafening silence on Putin’s Russia? Here’s your ass. Make sure Glenn knows who did this to you.

      Daaaaaaaamn, Mr. B! Excellent riposte. Remind me to NEVER get on your bad side.

  • js hooper

    Greenwald (Griftwald) is an anti-American ideologue who will align himself with any foreign govt., dictatorship, terrorist organization etc to further his activist agenda.

    He has no real interest American civil liberties, international diplomacy, foreign countries’ human rights abuses etc. If world events can’t be shoehorned in to his agenda then he will ignore them.

    Snowden is simply a Russian spy. Anyone who can’t see that is a fool. Do you think Putin would have him in the country if he wasn’t an asset?Snowden is surrounded by FSB agents, lawyers etc.

    Anyone with a brain knew that Russia was a repressive state with cartoonishly aggressive surveillance operations… Yet Snowden CHOSE to go there under the advice of his Wikileaks handlers. As soon as he arrived he heaped praise on Russia for their interest in human rights. This should have been the ultimate RED Flag on his motivations/ agenda.

    The Snowden/ Greenwald agenda was obvious from day one.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Greenwald (Griftwald) is an anti-American ideologue who will align himself with any foreign govt., dictatorship, terrorist organization etc to further his activist agenda.

      He has no real interest American civil liberties, international diplomacy, foreign countries’ human rights abuses etc. If world events can’t be shoehorned in to his agenda then he will ignore them.

      Sadly, I think you’re right.

    • Scopedog

      “Anyone with a brain knew that Russia was a repressive state with cartoonishly aggressive surveillance operations… Yet Snowden CHOSE to go there under the advice of his Wikileaks handlers. As soon as he arrived he heaped praise on Russia for their interest in human rights. This should have been the ultimate RED Flag on his motivations/ agenda.”

      This last sentence speaks for itself. It should have been as clear as day that something was rotten when Snowden did this, but it went over the heads of many. I guess the “US is always bad!” mentality trumps hard facts (the facts being Russia’s deplorable record on human rights).

  • trgahan

    Well, now that we know Greenwald et al’s stock answer to real human rights abuse and civil liberty violations (ie. it doesn’t split the left and keep conservatives in power in 1st world nations…it’s not a violation), can we please click the “unfollow” button and let them sit in their self-marginalized circle jerk bubble until the person in the White House is the right gender, color, and party again and Pierre loses interest and spends his money elsewhere?

    • icarrion

      Perfectly stated.

      • HayesOose

        “Perfectly stated.”

        if you go in for gibberish.

        • trgahan

          Zing!

          Did you draw the short straw in the “Troll the Daily Banter for posting about Greenwald” today?

        • ruth crocker

          The problem with your posts isn’t their childishness, but their lack of a point.

  • raina

    “All of these issues are squarely in the Greenwald/Snowden wheelhouse —
    not unrelated, random issues, but specific to Greenwald’s beat and
    Snowden’s mission statement. This is what makes their silence
    particularly deafening.”

    Worth repeating. They damn well know why people are asking. No one is asking them why they aren’t covering the earthquake in Los Angeles, or the missing Malaysia airline, or any other random event.

    It was hilarious to see him praise Abby Martin, while not explicitly condemning Putin hisownself.

    • HayesOose

      Nice to know that around here, “Abby Martin” is *still* the most important facet of the Ukraine/Crimea events, with the possible exception of “Glenn Greenwald thinks he’s so hot but he’s so not….”

        Just accuse the person of saying something they didn’t! Congratulations, that was a perfectly useless Greenwaldian response.

        • feloniousgrammar

          Greenwald is a troll calling to trolls. He knows his audience and thinks that he and his internet thugs can destroy the U.S., or if not, he can get rich trying while having all the brainless adulation he craves.

          Why is it that really stupid white men think they’re so much more insightful, aware, intelligent, and ideologically pure than everyone else? Seems white male privilege is about all they have going in their favor. Look at the way the Glen-bots think— they’re positively useless in any social problem-solving situation, yet they appear to think they can rule the world. They couldn’t plan a block party. Look at them— they’re all chest pounding, shit flinging screeches.

          • formerlywhatithink

            That is absolutely perfect LMFAO

          • Eudaimon

            every comment section i view, there is always someone who tries to find an excuse to talk about white male privilege (because white women are women, and women arent privileged or something, but gay white men are still considered privileged).

            listen, i know it is rough out there not being a man or white, i get it. but please know that we are all rooting for you from our alabaster control towers; which of course, is where we spend all day sending white men job offers and handwritten letters that express our thoughts on how to better shame women for their bodies or notes on how to better explain to a sexist, racist person that using “majority privilege” instead of white privilege sounds a lot less ignorant. but why am i telling you? you already know all about the white male experience. my apologies for wasting your time.

            Your comment goes to show that you have absolutely no understanding of what systemic discrimination is and that you are, most likely, a cretin. I’ve experienced sexual discrimination and abuse many times in my life and I am a white woman. Those things would not have happened to me if not for my gender. I guaran-fucking-tee you that it didn’t come from “alabaster control towers” but instead came from incredibly closed minds like yours.

            Now, how about commenting on the actual article about Greenwald and his blatant hypocrisy?

          • feloniousgrammar

            And if we were black women— my God— intersectionality is a concept anyone who thinks themselves educated and politically aware in the U.S. should learn about and consider very carefully. The I have issues, too! construction is saying “boo (hoo hoo)” in boot camp.

          • feloniousgrammar

            Go fuck your poor put upon self.

      • beulahmo

        “…the most important facet of Ukraine/Crimea events…”? Cripes. Nobody here has acted that way and you look stupid for saying it. I know you’re an anonymous presence here, but you should still be embarrassed for behaving so foolishly.

        • HayesOose

          How many stories here on the Crimea take-over *don’t* address Abby Martin?

          • Eudaimon

            dude, you’re acting like addressing the issue is somehow more important than talking shit on people who’ve addressed the issue. seriously, how immature can you be? after all, using ad hominem arguments is the only legitimate way to communicate matters of opinion. didnt you pay attention in school? the more you talk shit on someone, the smarter you appear relative to them. i mean – did i say ‘the smarter you appear?’ i meant to say ‘the smarter you are.’

            talking about ideas and global issues in a thoughtful way is just bad journalism. we intellectuals focus on that which is truly important – discussing the vile nature of another person’s character, especially if that person happens to be a successful journalist.

      • nathkatun7

        What don’t you take your idiocy somewhere else?

      • Eudaimon

        lol perfect

  • HayesOose

    “Award-Winning Journalist Thomas Ricks Goes to War Against Greenwald”

    So time for Bob Cesca to wet himself.

    • dbtheonly

      Your comment is juvenile in the extreme.

    • raina

      Can you spell p-r-o-j-e-c-t-i-o-n?
      I knew you could.

      • ruth crocker

        well, he’s verbally incontinent, so he may very well be in other ways as well. Is HayesOose a brand of adult diaper?

        • Mike Lumisch

          Monty Python Australian Table Wines:

          “A fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.”

          • ruth crocker

            a fine peppermint burgundy, good for hand to hand combat

    • 624LC .

      You forgot to add “As greenwald’s lemmings jump to his defense, porn sites web traffic down”

      • missliberties

        oooohh……. Good one! Ha.

    • Aaron Litz

      My goodness that was clever!

      Did you come up with that all by yourself?

      • HayesOose

        Well, I won’t take too much credit, it was pretty obvious after all.

        Look forward to your next 1000 boring-assed comments here.

        • Aaron Litz

          Oh, you sure got me!

          DAMN. I’m seriously hurting here. I’m boring?

          I may ramble, I may babble, I may lecture, I may even be flat-out fucking WRONG sometimes… but one thing I NEVER am is BORING.

          • HayesOose

            “I’m boring?”

            Yes.

          • Aaron Litz

            Oh, you wound me! However shall I recover?

          • Mike Lumisch

            Brave, Concorde … you shall not have died in vain!

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I’m pretty sure Bob has more important things to do than carry out the wishful thinking of a Greenwaldian troll, such as yourself.

    • nathkatun7

      You are an idiot!

  • Draxiar

    Such an obvious deflection on the part of The Green Wald. Did he ever answer the question (I ask in jest) or just continue to deflect the question?