Adam Baldwin Says I’m a Liar

I don’t do Twitter fights. There’s almost no bigger waste of time than arguing with someone in machine-gun bursts of 140 characters or less; nothing ever gets settled that way and it’s rare that any significant points are even made that might convince someone who strongly disagrees with you to adjust his or her thinking in the slightest. Hence, nine times out of ten I don’t see any reason to indulge somebody who squares off with me on Twitter and tries to pull me into a protracted back-and-forth.

Then again, not everyone is Adam Baldwin. Last week, you may remember, I wrote an extended piece here — cross-posted over at the Huffington Post — spelling out the dilemma I had when it came to Baldwin’s work as an actor. I’m a big Firefly fan and made it clear that while I love Baldwin’s character on the show, Jayne Cobb, I also think that he personally is a reactionary shithead. In addition to years of Twitter and Breitbart diarrhea that led me to this conclusion, there was his comment a couple of weeks back positing a hypothetical in which a father marrying his son achieved the same kind of tax breaks as those who engaged in same-sex marriage. His tweet read exactly, “What’s wrong, now, with a father marrying his son for love & to avoid tax penalties?”

Now, was he directly comparing gay marriage to incest as some have claimed? No, he wasn’t. But I never said he was in my piece, merely that it could be read as such and some were interpreting it that way. What’s indisputable, though, is that in the wake of being criticized for the comment, he and Justified‘s Nick Searcy went on a furious rampage against LGBT activist Tim Peacock and comic book artist Kurtis Wiebe, viciously attacking them, mocking Peacock’s weight over and over again and even calling the relatively fit Wiebe “tubby.” The whole thing was so fucking weird that for a while there was a question whether Baldwin and Searcy’s Twitter accounts had been hacked. This theory could easily be put to rest with a quick scan of some of the other crap they’d written, but it was admittedly batshit crazy even for them.

Which brings me to Saturday morning, when things got even weirder — because that’s when Adam Baldwin tweeted at me that I was a liar.

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 9.43.57 AM

The link in the tweet went to this:

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 2.51.09 PM

Taking his word for it for the moment, I asked him if he simply agreed with Frank’s early stance on the inevitability of gay marriage or actually supported it himself. Here’s what I got back:

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 9.45.38 AM

Yeah, the video was kind of an insane touch. Also, he condescendingly derided someone who liked a show he was on as a “fanboy.”

What followed that were a hell of a lot of iterations of the word “lie” from him directed at me (with one tweet wondering whether I was fired from CNN for lying). I’d put them up here, but as a follower of his told me as the Twitter feud broadened out, he has a habit of “cleaning” his feed every so often, which is certainly his right but it makes it difficult to actually track what he says. It’s easy for somebody to say you’re lying about him when there’s no way to prove what he actually said and you’re forced to just trust him or his followers on his intent. I kept pointing out that he can’t simply call someone a liar — he has to explain why that person is a liar — and it got me pretty much nowhere. The whole thing eventually deteriorated into his firing silly memes my way then telling me to “get lost,” to which I responded, “Hey, I wasn’t the one who started this conversation and ended it with a bunch of dumb memes. Have a good one.”

For the record, the follower of his I was talking to disputed my points but was more than reasonable, and we ended our conversation cordially.

Once it was all over, though, I took Baldwin’s advice and “looked up” his appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher in August of 2003, the one in which he claims to have agreed with Barney Frank on the subject of gay marriage. Turns out he was never on that show. Alec Baldwin was. Now either Adam Baldwin is truly crazy or he’s just fucking with people on Twitter, honestly being nothing more than a troll who has zero respect for anyone who thinks differently from him politically. (See Update Below.) I’m not sure which would be a more comforting thought. He’s a Breitbart disciple and Breitbart was a big fan of being a provocateur simply for the juvenile enjoyment he got from watching his detractors twist in the wind. Believe it or not, I actually kind of respected him for that. (What I couldn’t respect was his infusing of dishonesty and fraudulence into the political media bloodstream.)

In the end, unsurprisingly, nothing much came of my little back-and-forth with Adam Baldwin. It’s not as if I changed his mind, although I guess he enjoyed spending his Saturday morning pelting some guy he’s never heard of with accusations, demands, and lunatic video clips. And while I still love the hell out of his character on Firefly, it’s not as if I get to brag that I had a good conversation with an actor I respect or can console myself with the belief that we even wrapped up our debate on reasonable terms. It was like any other fucking fight I’ve had on Twitter. Nothing at all was accomplished. Which is why I try to avoid them.

Hey, at least I didn’t get called tubby.

Update: One of the problems with Twitter, and one of the reasons I try not to get into serious debates on it, is that it’s such a limited platform. Because of this, it’s incredibly easy to misunderstand someone. Thanks to a commenter below, I went back and took a closer look and it seems that Baldwin’s point wasn’t that he was actually on the August 1st, 2003 episode of Real Time with Bill Maher but that he simply agreed with the point Barney Frank made on the show. Frank stated at the time that he was open to the idea of civil unions as long as all the financial benefits of a married couple would be available to same-sex couples. I personally believe that there shouldn’t be any difference, in name or otherwise, between a gay and a straight marriage because really the only thing preventing the former from being acceptable in the eyes of some is an adherence to religion. And you know how I feel about that. Regardless, I apologize for the mistake. It was a hell of a coincidence that Alec Baldwin happened to be on Real Time on that date, though.

  • Lady Willpower

    Saying “I support civil unions but not marriage for gays” is a copout. It’s weasel wording for the (slightly) more enlightened homophobe. Yeah it’s better than saying they want to put us on an island and nuke it, but it’s still a weak half measure. It’s still ghettoization of gays, just with a thin veneer of civility to it.

  • Milt Shook

    Same as you, I am a fan of his acting in Firefly. I also like his acting in Chuck, and actually got a bit of a chuckle from the Reagan shrine in his apartment, because I can appreciate anyone who can laugh at himself. But I had the same sort of exchange with him a couple years back, when I took exception to something he wrote on Breitbart. He wrote virtually the same things to me then, the accusations of “lies” and all, so it makes me wonder if it’s not mostly shtick. In any case, I blocked him, because I just don’t waste time with stupid, feigned or not.

  • That River Gal

    Who knew his character on Chuck, where had a shrine to Reagan in his apartment was based in fact? Sad.

  • zombie377

    How problematic, Animal Mother finally had someone throw a grenade at him.

  • Gunnut2600

    This is why I don’t give a shit about what actors, actresses, writers, journalists, athletes, etc do or say in their off time as long as its legal. If I had to give a shit about every talented person who does or says something retarded, I would be busy 24/7, sharing my indignation or whatever. I don’t have the energy for that.

  • JozefAL

    “. . . comic book artist Kurtis Wiebe, . . . .”

    Minor nitpick here, but Wiebe is best known as a WRITER. (Now, he may do some artwork but, as far as I’m aware, he hasn’t had any published.)

  • Seth Thomas Howell

    how sad to find that someone i so enjoyed is a wackado dickhead. this will sadly forever taint everything about him for me.

  • Kelly Foran

    I’ve had personal interaction with My Bodyguard and I can say he’s fairly decent but does hold some strong opinions. The Breitbart provocation-style of arguing is exhausting and usually, as you said, nothing is accomplished. The best choice is to ignore and move on with life.

  • ryanlindberg

    Point of clarity, I think that you misinterpreted his line about Real Time. I believe he was saying that he agreed with Barney Frank when Barney Frank said it on Real Time – not when he, Adam Baldwin, was on Real Time. That’s how I read it just now. So, wingnut, yes; delusional in that particular instance, no.

    • Chez Pazienza

      One of the hazards of Twitter is that it’s hard to be completely clear in 140 characters. I Googled it but didn’t see anything come up, but now that I’ve narrowed my search it looks like that was what he was getting at. I’m going to adjust and link to his brief statement. Thanks for the heads up, and it’s good to know he wasn’t just pulling a Breitbart.

    • vitobonespur

      I never thought that Bill Maher would have had the patience to put up with this conservative, neanderthal mouth-breather in the first place, so I was pretty doubtful of his ever making an appearance on Real Time.

      Additionally, I have always thought this guy was about a half-bubble off plumb, and this latest episode seems to confirm it.

  • Lady Willpower

    Boy, I can’t wait for Adam Baldwin to start getting fat. Then his arguments will become invalid.

    • Jason

      he is already well on his way. Check the promo clip for “The Last Ship”

      • nevilleross

        I just saw the trailer, and I (IMHO) think that it’s safe to say he has a little paunch, but not much-in my humble opinion, of course.

  • CL Nicholson

    Well, that sucks – he’s an even bigger nut than I thought. But, hey, Jayne will always be the shizznits!

  • ranger11

    The funny thing is that back in the ’90′s I thought this guy was one of the Baldwin brothers. Kind of confused him with Daniel. Great video he tweeted back to you. Real class guy.

    • vitobonespur

      Understandable. I don’t think either one of them has the brain power that gawd gave an overcooked pot roast.

  • David Davies

    I’ve had a back and forth with him that ended up with him saying he was going to come round to my house. I said the same to him too. Pretty funny really when he lives in LA and I live in the Liverpool. The guy is a dick.