Steve Stockman Files Libel Suit Alleging He Was Never Arrested for Smuggling Drugs in His Underpants

We’ve been following the bizarre political career of Twitter troll and paleoconservative tea party congressman Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) for some time now, and ever since declaring his intention to run against Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) in the Republican senatorial primary, the Stockman story has grown even more ludicrous.

But first, let’s recap. Soon after declaring, Stockman’s campaign headquarters were condemned. Then the first primary polling data showed Stockman with only six percent support. If that wasn’t humiliating enough, he received exactly zero votes in a tea party straw poll. He began the year by essentially vanishing for an entire month, missing every roll call vote in January despite pledging to vote against a major spending bill and then, of course, he didn’t vote. On top of all that, we learned that Stockman hasn’t voted in any Republican primary elections since 2004.

And now Stockman’s been caught up in a fracas over whether he was arrested in 1977 for smuggling into jail a controlled substance, diazepam, also known as Valium, hidden inside his underpants. (My sincere apologies for forcing you to endure the mental image of Stockman’s underpants, but it’s part of this insane tale, like it or not.)

Stockman had been reporting for a two-day jail sentence for a traffic violation, and his girlfriend had slipped the cellophane-wrapped Valium into the fly area of the underpants (sorry again). When Stockman was strip-searched (seriously, I’m sorry), authorities discovered the pills. He was initially charged with felony possession of a controlled substance, which was later reduced after his defense attorney cut a deal with the prosecutor. Stockman eventually plead no contest to the lesser charge of “use of a controlled substance.”

Early this year, and following Stockman’s Twitter attacks and bizarre manifesto against “liberal John Cornyn,” a pro-Cornyn super PAC called Texans for a Conservative Majority fired back by producing a website that, among other things, hits Stockman for the drug charges. So now Stockman is suing the super PAC for libel.

Does Stockman have a case? Not a chance.

In a June, 1995 interview with the Dallas Morning News, Stockman said his girlfriend “shoved [the pills] in my pants, to tell you the truth, right before I went in for the weekend.”

In a 1995 interview with the Houston Chronicle, Stockman said, “I may have been in jail a couple of times, two or three times,” and continued, “When they found [the pills] they charged me with a felony.”

Then, in a February, 1996 Texas Monthly profile appropriately titled “Congressman Clueless,” the charges appeared again.

Stockman spent more than one weekend in jail for traffic violations, and once, after a girlfriend hid Valium in his underwear before he was incarcerated, he was charged with possession of a controlled substance, a felony that was later dropped.

While we’re here, other gems from the profile included Stockman’s description of himself as a “studerino,” while the article’s author wrote that Stockman’s “hairbrained ideas and headline-making gaffes have made him the laughing stock of his party.” Some things never change.

Nevertheless, he’s repeatedly confirmed the incident on the record. It’s all searchable online.

Fast forward to last month. On January 31, Stockman filed the libel suit alleging that the super PAC falsely accused him of being charged in the pants incident and of ethics violations.

Donny Ferguson, a campaign spokesman, stated, “The Cornyn PAC claims Stockman had been ‘jailed more than once,’ was ‘charged with a felony’ and ‘violated federal ethics laws,’ all of which are false statements.”

The same day, Stockman himself said, “The Cornyn supporters have committed libel per se against me, falsely and maliciously accusing me of a felony. Of course, I have never been charged with or committed any such act, and these anonymous Cornyn supporters know it. As a sitting member of the United States Congress, I find it unconscionable that another member’s supporters would make such reckless, malicious and false allegations.”

All of this runs contrary to the reports and quotes from the middle 1990s.

It also runs contrary to, yes, his arrest record and mug-shot, which the Texas Tribune managed to dig up. The document (PDF) proves that a man named Stephen Ernest Stockman with the same birthday as the congressman was booked for felony possession of diazepam. Here’s his mug-shot:

stockman_mugshot

This, along with his statements to the press in the 1990s, render the following remarks to be untrue, not to mention the basis for the libel suit.

STOCKMAN: “I have never been charged with or committed any such act.” Wrong. He was charged, and admitted to committing such an act.

FERGUSON: “The Cornyn PAC claims Stockman had been ‘jailed more than once,’ was ‘charged with a felony’…all of which are false statements.” Wrong. All of that happened.

Now the Stockman people are doubling-down on their story like champs. Donny Ferguson protested, “He never denied being arrested 40 years ago as a teenager. He was arrested for a traffic violation, not drugs. And he was not arrested multiple times or convicted of a felony.”

No one ever said he was convicted of a felony — just that he was initially charged with a felony, which is true. He was absolutely arrested for drugs. And, yes, he was arrested multiple times, and he’s admitted it.

It’s difficult to pinpoint a bigger clown show than the Stockman campaign, and as much as we collectively laugh at his buffoonery, we should always bear in mind: he still gets to vote on legislation that impacts all of us — that is whenever he’s not trolling on Twitter or wandering the globe.

  • https://twitter.com/DrMatthew Dr. Matt

    Teabaggers will elect anyone just as long as they spew inflammatory bullshit at the President.

  • muselet

    Goodness, what an odd little man.

    –alopecia

  • OY humid

    Hey Bob, who gives a crap? How about that dyke Hillary and her and Obozo’s failure to save our troops in Benghazi?

    • JozefAL

      Hey OY, how about that chimp Dubya and his master Darth Cheney’s failure to keep some 3000 people from dying needlessly on 9/11? And how about their allowing the bin Ladens who were in the US to FLY back to Saudi Arabia (despite the ban on air travel)? And how about Dubya’s snuggling up with the Saudi leadership when the hijackers were mostly Saudi citizens? Why didn’t Dubya and Cheney invade Saudi Arabia (where so many hijackers originated) instead of Iraq, which had NOTHING to do with 9/11?

      Oh, I could go on and on and on but since those were your GOP crooks in command, it doesn’t matter.

      And, just out of curiosity, what about the BILLIONS of dollars that the GOP HOUSE cut from the budget–money that would’ve IMPROVED security and embassies and associated compounds? Huh? Where’s YOUR concern about that? Probably the same level that you GOPers had before (and continue to have more than a year AFTER) Benghazi. In other words, none.

      • OY humid

        Hey Jose,

        I got news for you, you are WRONG on all accounts. More troops have been killed under your boy Obozo (let me guess, you are black) than even close to MY main man George W. Bush.

        Regarding, 9-11, how dare you imply that we or Bush had anything to do with those terrorists killing those innocent people. Talk about a conspiracy that you and all your libtard buddies are trying to unfold and have been for over 10 fookin years. Good Luck- at least we know the truth on Benghazi and your dyke and black brother.

        Oy

    • Victor_the_Crab

      How ’bout you fuck off and grow a brain, shit-for-personality?

      • OY humid

        How about you head west to CA, get a room with the good governor, nancy pelosi, harry reed and bozo and drink manchevitz while getting a hold of each other considering you all favor queer marriage.

        How ’bout that douche bag?

        OY

        • william trent

          Jeez, you must be a loser with no life at all. You’re pathetic.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Wait a minute… Steve Stockman had a girlfriend?!! Ugh!!!

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Jon-Benne/1148967882 Jon Benne

    BRB gonna change my Twitter handle to @studerino

  • Sabyen91

    “we should always bear in mind: he still gets to vote on legislation that impacts all of us”

    Fortunately for us he rarely takes that opportunity.

  • Mike Rothschild

    At this point, I have to wonder if we’re dealing with some kind of mental illness. These aren’t the actions of a well person.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I don’t think so. I think we’re just dealing with someone who enjoys being an asshole.

      • OY humid

        Hey D.C., you talking about yourself, huh?

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    This was a deeply disturbing read to start the morning. What is more painful is that he’d have a 50-50 chance of winning reelection to the House if he can still choose to do that.

  • trgahan

    Stockman is a great example of: A) the monster the Republican election strategists created then promptly unleased/lost control of; B) that Republicans have no interest in government. It is all about electoral victory so mindless, bomb throwing, seat fillers are good canidates; and C) what you get when your party members (oh sorry, they are all “independents” now) are so full of resentment and fear that they cling to anyone claiming to be on their side.

  • i_a_c

    In your first paragraph it says “Sen. Jim Cornyn.”

      Whoops. Thanks.

  • Bubble Genius

    Jesus. Despite what Chico Marx says, I think it’s time to insert a sanity clause into the Constitution for all public servants.