Quote of the Day: Moses Farrow Breaks His Silence, Defends Woody Allen and Slams Mia Farrow

What we have here is what we had two decades ago: a family torn apart, leveling ugly public accusations at each other, neither side able to definitively prove its case.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
What we have here is what we had two decades ago: a family torn apart, leveling ugly public accusations at each other, neither side able to definitively prove its case.
Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 11.18.43 AM

"My mother drummed it into me to hate my father for tearing apart the family and sexually molesting my sister. And I hated him for her for years. I see now that this was a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi... Of course Woody did not molest my sister. She loved him and looked forward to seeing him when he would visit. She never hid from him until our mother succeeded in creating the atmosphere of fear and hate towards him. The day in question, there were six or seven of us in the house. We were all in public rooms and no one, not my father or sister, was off in any private spaces. My mother was conveniently out shopping. I don’t know if my sister really believes she was molested or is trying to please her mother. Pleasing my mother was very powerful motivation because to be on her wrong side was horrible... Our mother has misled the public into believing it was a happy household of both biological and adopted children. From an early age, my mother demanded obedience and I was often hit as a child. She went into unbridled rages if we angered her, which was intimidating at the very least and often horrifying, leaving us not knowing what she would do."

-- Moses Farrow to People magazine

Dylan Farrow has already responded to Moses's comments, also in People:

"This is such a betrayal to me and my whole family. My memories are the truth and they are mine and I will live with that for the rest of my life. My mother never coached me. She never planted false memories in my brain. My memories are mine. I remember them. She was distraught when I told her. When I came forward with my story she was hoping against hope that I had made it up. In one of the most heartbreaking conversations I have ever had, she sat me down and asked me if I was telling the truth. She said that Dad said he didn’t do anything. and I said, 'He's lying.'"

While child sexual assault is deadly serious, this is one of the reasons many have chosen to treat this as a family matter. If Woody Allen broke the law, then obviously he deserves to be punished, but while it may be unfortunate, we have no real answers on this one way or the other. What we have is what we had two decades ago: a family torn apart, leveling ugly public accusations at each other, neither side able to definitively prove its case.

What's more, it should always be kept in mind that nothing concrete will ever come of this. Dylan will never get the vindication she may seek, and Woody Allen will never go to trial or prison for what he's alleged to have done. Allen's legacy is on the line, sure, but there will always be his accusers and defenders in the court of public opinion. Dylan, meanwhile, will continue to suffer, whether her memories are real or not. Nobody wins. Everybody loses.