Pro-Gun Lobbyist Complains That African-Americans Are Too Surly, Unpleasant

During an appearance on the Gun Owner’s News Hour radio show, the topic of African-Americans came up and Pratt did some, shall we say, ill-advised analysis of the differences between African-Americans and continental Africans.
During an appearance on the Gun Owner’s News Hour radio show, the topic of African-Americans came up and Pratt did some, shall we say, ill-advised analysis of the differences between African-Americans and continental Africans.
ColbertAlan

(Photo: Stephen Colbert with his "black friend." From the Colbert Report.)

Larry Pratt is the executive director of the Gun Owners of America, a lobby group that prides itself on being even less compromising than the National Rifle Association, if that's even possible. In addition to being central in the Fast & Furious conspiracy theory, Pratt's group has been praised by Ron Paul, while it came out in opposition to John McCain's candidacy in 2008.

During an appearance on the Gun Owner’s News Hour radio show, the topic of African-Americans came up and Pratt did some, shall we say, ill-advised analysis of the differences between African-Americans and continental Africans. Via Rawstory:

“And generally the African from Africa is a very pro-American person, a very happy person,” Pratt opined. “I know several. And they always just happy with a joke, pleasant smile on their face. And they clearly don’t identify with the surliness that’s all too frequently the attitude of their fellow African-Americans here.” [...]

“These are folks that stand apart and hopefully they can approach some of their fellow blacks and say, ‘Hey, buddy, you got this all wrong, let me explain to you the world really works.’”

What Pratt's really doing is directly saying to African-Americans, Stop being so surly and unpleasant -- oh, and ignorant about how the world works -- and therefore threatening to us white folk.

Also notice the off-the-shelf "my black friends" prelude to a decidedly racist commentary.

Seriously, some of you old white conservative people, you need to stop talking out of your ass about race -- or women's rights for that matter. You're not good at doing it without derping your way into the headlines. Stop it, please.