Picture of the Day: It's Always a Good Idea To Clear Porn from Your Browser History if You Work in a Newsroom

If you work in a local newsroom, you're going to wind up on television. Occasionally, that can be embarrassing.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
If you work in a local newsroom, you're going to wind up on television. Occasionally, that can be embarrassing.
Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 9.27.27 AM

Updated Below

It's a fact of life, or an occupational hazard, depending on how you want to look at it: Eventually, if you work in a local newsroom, you're going to wind up on television. We're not just talking about the usual background shots here -- you're going to inevitably be drafted to be in some reporter's package.

If you're lucky it won't require you to do anything too embarrassing and you can even have some fun with it. (I was once asked to read the details from the back of a "Hooters trading card" in a story we did when they first went on sale; "Holly likes to play with the staff," was my quip, followed by one of those Jim Halpert-style smirks.) Most stations also shoot plenty of close-up B-roll from around the office of people doing mundane things that can be used in various stories: hands typing, dialing a phone, drinking coffee, etc.

But every once in a while things can inadvertently go very wrong, and that's what some poor sap in WGN's newsroom found out the hard way when he -- and I'll assume it's a he -- apparently handed over his phone and it was used in a segment on a new app. The shot of the phone within the piece gave away his browser history, and, well, now half of Chicago knows that it's very important to him that he's able to masturbate on the go.

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 8.59.36 AM

A Redditor noticed the shot and it was apparently taken out of subsequent airings of the story.

By the way, the people he works with? Never gonna let him live this down.

(via Mediaite)

Update: According to Gawker, it actually was a young woman whose phone was shot -- a student who helped to develop the app. (They've posted the full clip.) I'm not sure whether this makes the story better or worse, but either way it obviously shoots massive holes in every fucking thing I just wrote. I hate it when that happens. My sincerest apologies.