Ultimate Man Stabs Shark, Stitches Himself Up, Then Goes to Pub For Beer

James Grant, a junior doctor in New Zealand, fought a shark, stitched himself up back at shore, then went to the pub for a cheeky pint afterwards.
James Grant, a junior doctor in New Zealand, fought a shark, stitched himself up back at shore, then went to the pub for a cheeky pint afterwards.
ninjavs-shark

We're doing our best to stay away from Buzzfeedy type nonsense here at the Banter, but sometimes there are viral stories too good to pass up on. And this one really is worth writing about.

James Grant, a junior doctor in New Zealand, was spearfishing near Colac bay on New Zealand’s South Island on Saturday when he was attacked by what he believed to be a sevengill shark. The fish, which can reach up to 12ft in length, bit Grant's leg while he swam in 6ft of water, prompting the young man to turn around and stab it with a knife. The shark swam off, and Grant got back to shore and stitched himself up with a needle from his first kit before heading off to the local Tavern for a cheeky pint.

Thinking it was a friend playing a joke, Grant claimed he didn't feel any fear at the time of the attack. "I looked behind to see who it was and got a bit of a shock," he told Radio New Zealand in an interview after the event. Realizing it wasn't one of his mates, Grant sprang into action with a knife he already had in his hand, stabbing at the shark multiple times. "I am not sure how effective it was," he said.  "I guess it let go so something must have happened. [I] put a few nicks in it."

Grant tried to get the attention of his three friends spearfishing with him, but they thought he was having them on. "I thought surely he hasn't been bitten," friend Mackley Lindsay said."There's no way he has been bitten, he's got to be taking the piss." Upon seeing the five centimeter long bites after taking off his wetsuit, Grant realized he had to take matters into his own hands, and promptly stitched himself up while his friends carried on fishing.

According to the Guardian, Grant had to go to the Invercargill hospital to have the stitching finished, but not before having a pint at the pub. He was well enough to go back to work on Monday.

(Image via DivingLeisureLondon)