The Proposed Oklahoma Satanic Monument Is Revealed, and It's Everything You Hoped It Would Be

Last month we told you about a request to erect a monument to Satan on the steps of the Oklahoma state capitol. Here's what it looks like.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Last month we told you about a request to erect a monument to Satan on the steps of the Oklahoma state capitol. Here's what it looks like.
Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 5.14.28 PM

At the beginning of last month we told you about a plan by a group that represents possibly the greatest ongoing troll campaign in existence, the Satanic Temple, to erect a monument to Satan on the steps of the Oklahoma state capitol. The idea would be to put it within spitting distance of the Ten Commandments stone tablet memorial which is already in place, just as a show of smart-ass subversive defiance against the law that allowed for a Christian religious symbol on state property.

Now, the design of that proposed monument has been revealed. You can see it for yourself above. It's seven-feet-tall, made of concrete, and features a goat-headed Baphomet seated under a pentagram and flanked by two smiling children. Because kids love Satan.

According to the Satanic Temple's appropriately named spokesperson, Lucien Greaves, "The statue will serve as a beacon calling for compassion and empathy among all living creatures. The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."

I like that. Function as well as eternal damnation.

You'll be shocked to learn that despite the obvious hypocrisy it exposes, Oklahoma lawmakers are demanding that the Satanic Temple's request not be honored. Says Republican State Representative Earl Sears (I am not making that up): "This is a faith-based nation and a faith-based state. I think it is very offensive they would contemplate or even have this kind of conversation."

But see, that's exactly the point. Isn't this a faith-based monument?