The Polar Vortex Is Not Funny

This is a very real and very serious consequence of the climate crisis -- tangible evidence that we're destroying ourselves and not really doing anything significant or expedient enough to prevent it.
This is a very real and very serious consequence of the climate crisis -- tangible evidence that we're destroying ourselves and not really doing anything significant or expedient enough to prevent it.
polar_vortex_accuweather

Warning: this will be very crotchety.

I'm not going to name names or embarrass anyone in particular for doing this, but I've just about had it with the tittering about the polar vortex. Sorry to burst the comedy bubble, but this isn't anything like "Sharknado" and it's not a weird space anomaly confronted by the cast of Star Trek.

This is a very real and very serious consequence of the climate crisis -- tangible evidence that we're destroying ourselves and not really doing anything significant or expedient enough to prevent it. And the sad reality of our collective apathy and inaction is only made worse when I see everyone from Twitter users to popular TV people, left and right alike, treating it like it's just another "snowpocalypse" or whatever too-clever neologism we've invented for hashtag wars this week.

To repeat: the polar vortex ought to be locked in place over the Arctic. Not in the middle of the United States. The climate situation has become so unglued that the high-speed winds that usually hold the polar vortex in place have dissipated enough due to global warming to allow a massive chunk of atmosphere to slip away from the North Pole and hover over the North American land mass thousands of miles to the south.

We did this. All of us. And the very least we can do now is it take ownership and responsibility for it instead of turning it into a meme.

That's all. Carry on.