THE MORNING BANTER: Snowpocalypse, the End of Faith, "Defending" Ani DiFranco, 2014 Circa 1964, and Remembering Ben Curtis

Are you back at work yet? Were you lucky enough to get -- or take -- a full two weeks off for the holidays? Are you stuck indoors because of the Snowpocalypse? Regardless, here's what's going on in the world this morning as well as some other silly tidbits to pore over.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Are you back at work yet? Were you lucky enough to get -- or take -- a full two weeks off for the holidays? Are you stuck indoors because of the Snowpocalypse? Regardless, here's what's going on in the world this morning as well as some other silly tidbits to pore over.
Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 9.42.13 PM

Are you back at work yet? Were you lucky enough to get -- or take -- a full two weeks off for the holidays? Are you stuck indoors because of the Snowpocalypse? Regardless, here's what's going on in the world this morning as well as some other silly tidbits to pore over.

1. White Clobber

I know that if you live in the Northeast this will be breaking news for you, but you're buried in snow. By the way, it's supposed to be 82 and sunny here in L.A. today.

CNN: 100 Million in Storm's Path

2. And No Religion Too

You all know how I feel about faith, but much of this sounds like wishful thinking being -- if you'll pardon the pun -- preached to the choir. It'd be nice to hope that all of these points add up to a country unburdened by the ridiculousness of Biblical fundamentalism, but I'm not sure it's going to happen in any of our lifetimes.

Alternet: 10 Signs Religious Fundamentalism Is in Decline

3. Folked-Up

My first thought upon reading this was, "Does somebody have Tommy Christopher's obit in the can, ready to go?" But look a little closer. Also, as we've demonstrated a few times here ourselves, satire is basically impossible anymore.

Mediaite: Why Ani DiFranco Is Right and Black People are Wrong (Here's the opposing view from budding Fox News suck-up Noah Rothman.)

4. Interlude

On that note, let me just take a minute aside here to point out how nothing is going to change when it comes to knee-jerk internet outrage in 2014. The past few days alone prove it.

4. Anger Management

And in a related item...

Death and Taxes: 10 Kinds of Disingenuous Bullshit That Need To Go Away in 2014

5. Back To the Future

Remember, we're just a year away from those hoverboards.

Esquire: What 2014 Looked Like 50 Years Ago

6. Disappear

The appropriately enigmatic Secret Machines have always been one of my favorite indie bands -- and when their guitarist Ben Curtis left to form the even more enigmatic School of Seven Bells, I followed right along. I had no idea that back in February, Curtis was diagnosed with T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma and he had spent the year fighting it. That fight ended last Sunday. Curtis was a spectacular guitarist and a truly imaginative all-around musician, and 35 was much too young to die. When it comes to cancer, I'm out of expletives and almost out of tears.

Here's Secret Machines' The Road Leads Where It's Led and School of Seven Bells' I L U.

Entertainment Weekly: School of Seven Bells' Benjamin Curtis Dies