THE MORNING BANTER: Sandy vs. Christie, Super Bowl Bound, "Looking" Under Fire, and the Nihilist Philosophy of Snowden

Happy MLK day. Hopefully you're reading this from the comfort of your home, because by all accounts you should have the day off today. Regardless, here are some headlines and assorted internet nonsense to kill some time.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Happy MLK day. Hopefully you're reading this from the comfort of your home, because by all accounts you should have the day off today. Regardless, here are some headlines and assorted internet nonsense to kill some time.
Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 7.03.40 PM

Photo: Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images

Happy MLK day. Hopefully you're reading this from the comfort of your home, because by all accounts you should have the day off today. Regardless, here are some headlines and assorted internet nonsense to kill some time.

1. Bad to Worse

The ground beneath Chris Christie's feet just keeps right on shrinking. The mayor of Hoboken is the latest albatross around his neck, as she claims that he directly ordered that funds for super-storm Sandy be withheld from her town unless she agreed to back a redevelopment plan he was pushing.

CNN: Hoboken mayor: 'It's True' Christie Administration Withheld Sandy Funds

2. Bowl Bound

It's the Broncos vs. the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII

The Los Angeles Times: Peyton Manning guides Broncos back to Super Bowl

USA Today: Seahawks Parlay 49ers' Mistakes into Super Bowl Trip vs. Broncos

3. The Look of Love

HBO's new show Looking debuted last night and already promises to be a welcome antidote to the gay minstrelsy far too much TV has trafficked in for far too long, with gay people portrayed almost exclusively as either flamboyant and sassy smack-talkers or fairy godmothers full of sage advice for hapless straights. The characters are raw, believable, and maybe most importantly, multi-dimensional. It paints the queer community as exactly what it is: diverse, filled with different people with different personalities and priorities. The show, however, is not diverse enough for some. In other words, here we go again with the criticism we've come to expect anytime a show with cultural zeitgeist potential launches and isn't perfectly racially and ethnically balanced. For what it's worth, while I may criticize Girls quite a bit because I genuinely don't like the show, when it was being hammered for its supposed lack of diversity I defended it (albeit backhandedly). I would do the same here (only not backhandedly).

The Huffington Post: Looking Creators Address Racial Diversity on the Show

4. Bachelor Bad

Speaking of gay issues, there's this: a guy who goes on a reality show to look for a wife among 30 competing women saying that gay people set a bad example for kids.

Entertainment Weekly: ABC Slams Bachelor's Gay Statement

5. Hackers Delight

On Friday, what with outlets like the Huffington Post predictably and wrongly declaring that President Obama's announcement of NSA reforms represented vindication for Edward Snowden, the usual suspects were taking a misguided victory lap. But while the amusing little fray on Twitter even saw a rare appearance from yours truly, the New Republic was preparing a lengthy piece that digs deeply into the motivations of Snowden, Glenn Greenwald, and Julian Assange, taking them to task for what they truly represent: the leaker philosophy of absolutist libertarian nihilism.

The New Republic: Would You Feel Differently About Snowden, Greenwald, and Assange If You Knew What They Really Thought?

6. There's Something About Mary

In case you missed it, Mary Matalin really looked like she was fucked-up all to hell on Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday night.

Gawker: Here's Mary Matalin's Bizarre Appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher