THE MORNING BANTER: Rand Paul Thinks It's '98, the GOP's "Slut" Problem, AP v. Zimmerman, and "Swingers" Is Still So Money

Welcome back to the work week. Here are a few headlines and internet goodies to get you through the day.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Welcome back to the work week. Here are a few headlines and internet goodies to get you through the day.
Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 1.18.45 PM

Welcome back to the work week. Here are a few headlines and internet goodies to get you through the day:

1. Set the Way-Back Machine...

It's gonna be a long and entertaining lead-up to 2016, with not just revisionist history and denials of reality from the GOP but attempts to dig up and re-use 15-year-old scandals against the Democrats and Hillary Clinton. Grab the popcorn.

Raw Story: Veteran CBS Host Laughs in Cruz’s Face After He Repeatedly Denies Shutting Down Government

The Los Angeles Times: Bill Clinton Guilty of 'Predatory Behavior,' Rand Paul Says

2. Talking Dirty

We've all asked it at one time or another: "No, seriously -- what the hell are the Republicans thinking when they again open their mouths and attack women? Can they really not help themselves?" Here's an attempt to answer that.

The American Prospect: Why Republicans Keep Calling Women Sluts

3. Color Bind

Orphans Leader: Take your colors off, you can walk through.

Swan: We don’t do that.

Fox: It’s just our mark. It don’t mean we’re at war.

Orphans Leader: Go as civilians, okay? You go as soldiers, I gotta come down on you. Now take off your colors.

The Huffington Post: U.S. Olympic Athletes Told Wearing Team Colors In Sochi Puts Them At Risk

4. Art Thief

Maybe the AP can do what Trayvon never had the chance to: fight George Zimmerman and win.

The Washington Post: AP Says Zimmerman Painting Is Copy of AP Photo

5. "With this you don't know how to kill the bunny, you know what I mean?"

I lived in L.A. during the mid-90s, when I was in my mid-20s. Had a close group of good friends. We went to the Dresden on weekends to drink Blood & Sands and see Marty and Elaine, and hung out at the Derby on Big Bad Voodoo Daddy night, which was Wednesdays. When Swingers was released in 1996 it was like a snapshot of my own life, minus the specific lingo Jon Favreau had created for the film. Regardless of whether you were there and any of the landscape was familiar to you, though, the movie was a terrific little gem, a triumph of the indie film spirit that dominated the 90s. Here's how it all came together.

Grantland: So Money: An Oral History of Swingers