Shorter Sarah Palin: 'Let Us Keep Saying Kooky Racist Things, Mr. Obama!'

Sarah Palin attempted to honor Martin Luther King Day by demanding on Facebook that the president stop "playing the race card."
Sarah Palin attempted to honor Martin Luther King Day by demanding on Facebook that the president stop "playing the race card."
palin_big_gulp_derp

Sarah Palin attempted to honor Martin Luther King Day by demanding on Facebook that the president stop "playing the race card."

Happy MLK, Jr. Day!
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mr. President, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. and all who commit to ending any racial divide, no more playing the race card.

Notice how Palin didn't call for an end to the racial divide by stopping racist policies and attitudes -- instead, she suggested that the president and others stop recognizing and deriding such behavior for what it is.

The "playing the race card" zinger is standard issue fare from extremists who are called out for routinely derping their way into hot water when they blurt out something ill-conceived and bigoted. Shorter Palin: let us say and do racist things with impunity for a change, Mr. President!

Sorry, no. The only way the racial divide will be fully bridged is when those with paleolithic attitudes about race are shamed and marginalized into extinction. Ignoring it won't make it go away. And let's be clear -- "it" still exists. In fact, it's being legislated at the state level as we speak via Voter ID laws and voter purges.

But suggesting that Voter ID laws are what they are, primarily about preventing minorities from casting ballots for Democrats, is evidently "playing the race card." When someone can show us a legitimate, statistical reason for Voter ID, then we can talk. In the mean time, the evidence proves that, yes, it's about disenfranchising a very particular demographic.

Really now, who's playing the race card again?