If You're Shocked By Duck Dynasty's Hillbilly Cosplay, Here's What 'Larry the Cable Guy' Used to Look Like

I actually give Duck Dynasty a little leeway since, after all, it's not really a reality show in that it's scripted and the characters are performers. Larry the Cable Guy appears to be permanently stuck in this totally fake persona -- a redneck cable repairman. Weird.
I actually give Duck Dynasty a little leeway since, after all, it's not really a reality show in that it's scripted and the characters are performers. Larry the Cable Guy appears to be permanently stuck in this totally fake persona -- a redneck cable repairman. Weird.
duck_dynasty_cosplay

I wasn't surprised, nor did I care that the guys from Duck Dynasty are merely dressing up like hillbillies for the entertainment of their gullible television audience. Why? Because this has happened before.

Here's alleged redneck Larry the Cable Guy when he used his real name (Dan Whitney) and real voice (not a redneck voice).

/danwhitney2ln.jpg

Of course, there's nothing wrong with playing a character. But when you pass off your character as a real person -- even performing in your character while performing yet another fictional character, like Larry the Cable Guy did in movies like Pixar's Cars -- it's no longer a comedy bit. It's a bizarre psychosis.

But I actually give Duck Dynasty a little leeway since, after all, it's not really a reality show in that it's scripted and the characters are performers. Larry the Cable Guy appears to be permanently stuck in this totally fake persona -- a redneck cable repairman. Weird.