Dinesh D'Souza, Who Accused Obama of Being a Fraud, Indicted for Fraud

Dinesh D'Souza, a prominent conservative commentator, author and filmmaker, was indicted today on charges that he reimbursed people who he had asked to donate $20,000 each to a Republican Senate campaign. Prosecutors allege that this was a back-door way for D'Souza to donate money to a campaign that's far beyond the legal limit of $5,000.
Dinesh D'Souza, a prominent conservative commentator, author and filmmaker, was indicted today on charges that he reimbursed people who he had asked to donate $20,000 each to a Republican Senate campaign. Prosecutors allege that this was a back-door way for D'Souza to donate money to a campaign that's far beyond the legal limit of $5,000.
dinesh_dsouza_rect

Not to pile on, but there's a delicious irony in someone who accused the president of being a fraud in both a book and a feature film... who himself has been indicted for fraud. Indeed, Dinesh D'Souza, a prominent conservative commentator, author and filmmaker, was indicted today on charges that he reimbursed people who he had asked to donate $20,000 each to a Republican Senate campaign. Prosecutors allege that this was a back-door way for D'Souza to donate to a campaign in sums far beyond the legal limit of $5,000.

You've probably heard of D'Souza from his film 2016: Obama's America in which he makes wild assumptions about the president's hidden motives with regards to "re-shaping" America, based mainly upon the supposed influence of Obama's Kenyan birth father. The pro-America, pro-exceptionalism Obama is a ruse, D'Souza suggests, to disguise the real Obama.

While we're here, let's take a look at some of D'Souza's greatest hits.

A lot of people might not know that it was really D'Souza who led to ABC firing Bill Maher from his pre-HBO show "Politically Incorrect." Just after 9/11, D'Souza and Maher discussed the attacks on the air, and D'Souza said:

"Look at what they did. You have a whole bunch of guys who were willing to give their life; none of them backed out. All of them slammed themselves into pieces of concrete. These are warriors."

Maher merely agreed with D'Souza who made the 9/11 terrorists appear like warriors and martyrs. Maher was subsequently fired, then scolded by White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer who infamously warned, "We need to watch what we say, watch what we do."

D'Souza also partly blamed the 9/11 attacks on American liberals. One of his books was titled, "The Enemy At Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11."

Oliver Willis compiled the following Greatest Hits:

--D'Souza claims that TARP and the federal bailout were programs that "Obama launched." Both programs began under the Bush administration.

--D'Souza claims Obama went by the name Barack to adopt his father's "African identity," but Obama has explicitly said his name change "was not some assertion of my African roots."

--D'Souza insists that references in Obama speeches to a "nuclear-free world" are evidence of "anti-colonialism," but Ronald Reagan made multiple references to the same concept.

--D'Souza claimed that Obama supported the release of the Lockerbie bomber because he sometimes "supports the release of terrorists who claim to be fighting wars of liberation against American aggression." But the Obama administration formally opposed the release in an official letter from the State Department.

--D'Souza claimed that Obama referred to BP as "British Petroleum" in a May 2010 speech. He never did.

More recently, D'Souza tweeted this:

“I am thankful this week when I remember that America is big enough and great enough to survive Grown-Up Trayvon in the White House!”

He seems like a swell guy. We wish him well in his prosecution for allegedly attempting to cheat the campaign finance system. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.