Sorry, Sarah Palin, But There's Nothing in the U.S. Constitution Protecting Us from TV Executives

We have to perform the same nauseating dance every time a moron is fired or suspended for saying something profoundly dumb and/or offensive on television or radio. But here we go again. The "free speech" clause of the First Amendment does not protect you from public outrage, or your employer, your studio, your radio network, your cable news network or any other entity other than the U.S. Congress.
We have to perform the same nauseating dance every time a moron is fired or suspended for saying something profoundly dumb and/or offensive on television or radio. But here we go again. The "free speech" clause of the First Amendment does not protect you from public outrage, or your employer, your studio, your radio network, your cable news network or any other entity other than the U.S. Congress.
palin_big_gulp_derp

We have to perform the same nauseating dance every time a moron is fired or suspended for saying something profoundly dumb and/or offensive on television or radio. But here we go again. The "free speech" clause of the First Amendment does not protect you from public outrage, or your employer, your studio, your radio network, your cable news network or any other entity other than the U.S. Congress.

The First Amendment reads as follows: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I'm looking at you, Sarah Palin, and this tweet of yours:

"Free speech is endangered species; those 'intolerants' hatin' & taking on Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing personal opinion take on us all."

Also, "intolerants?" We're doing this to the language now?

Seriously, I don't expect Palin to know this because, you know, she is who she is, but there's nothing in the Constitution that protects Phil Robertson of TV's Duck Dynasty (I just threw up in my mouth a little) from being suspended by the executives at the A&E network, any more than it protects Martin Bashir from being fired by MSNBC executives when he idiotically said that someone ought to shit in Palin's mouth.

And if Palin suddenly believes that the Constitution extends to TV networks because the framers never conceived of television or the power it might wield someday, then Sarah Palin has departed from the ranks of those who believe in strict constructionism and adhering to only the literal intent of the Constitution. If that's the case, welcome aboard, Sarah. Now let's talk about the Second Amendment.