Sarah Palin Says Atheists Want to 'Abort Christ from Christmas'

Speaking at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, Palin said that Thomas Jefferson, a deist, would be outraged by the so-called "war on Christmas." But that's not all. She said Jefferson would say that atheists "want to try to abort Christ from Christmas."
Speaking at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, Palin said that Thomas Jefferson, a deist, would be outraged by the so-called "war on Christmas." But that's not all. She said Jefferson would say that atheists "want to try to abort Christ from Christmas."
palin_big_gulp_derp

I don't even know where to begin with this. First of all, I hate Travis Gettys over at Rawstory for getting these quotes before we could. Well done, sir.

Let's just dive right in. As part of her book tour, Sarah Palin spoke yesterday at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Right off the bat, I challenge you to structure this sentence:

“If you lose that foundation, John Adams was implicitly warning us, then we will not follow our constitution, there will be no reason to follow our constitution because it is a moral and religious people who understand that there is something greater than self, we are to live selflessly, and we are to be held accountable by our creator, so that is what our constitution is based on, so those revisionists, those in the lamestream media, especially, who would want to ignore what our founders actually thought, felt and wrote about in our charters of liberty – well, that’s why I call them the lamestream media.”

Authentic frontier gibberish. If the Michelin Guide handed out stars for the world's finest word salad, that quote might top the list. It's one long sentence and she somehow bumper-pools her way from John Adams to the Constitution (John Adams wasn't a framer of the Constitution) to accountability to charters of liberty to the "lamestream media." It's like she was reading from Mad Libs' Derp Edition.

Then, as Gettys noted in Rawstory, Palin seemed to suggest that Liberty University, founded in 1971, might have inspired Thomas Jefferson at his Monticello home -- 200 years earlier: "Thomas Jefferson and his thinking, I believe that much of it fundamentally came from this area, having spent his summers here, having spent influential years here, two miles away from Liberty University."

Jefferson obviously owned a time-traveling Delorean. Maybe he recruited Benjamin Franklin to harness a lightning bolt for the 1.21 gigawatts of power to fuel the flux capacitor.

It gets crazier. She went on to say that Jefferson, a deist, would be outraged by the so-called "war on Christmas." But that's not all. She said Jefferson would say that atheists "want to try to abort Christ from Christmas."

Here's the full quote: "He would recognize those who would want to try to ignore that Jesus is the reason for the season, those who would want to try to abort Christ from Christmas."

Yeah, she's just making stuff up now.

So she not only ignored Jefferson's well known views on Christianity, but she also tossed abortion into the "war on Christmas" meme.

Now, I don't mind saying that I love just about everything about Christmas -- and in a totally un-ironic, unapologetic way. I bask in it. Jefferson might've enjoyed the traditions of the season, too, but he was no fan of the "reason for the season" idea.

If you visit the official Monticello website, there's a section about Jefferson's religious beliefs and it's quite clear that, as a deist, he didn't believe in the divinity of Christ. Specifically, regarding "the reason for the season," he wrote to John Adams in 1823, "[T]he day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Abortionist! Jefferson was the first American to wage war on Christmas! IEEEEE!!!