And Now a Word from Salon.com, and That Word Is...

Now on the one hand, I could read this column -- even though I can probably recite the thing from memory given that it's only been a couple of months since Salon last broached this particular outrage -- or I could just confirm my suspicions about it by way of a little experiment.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Now on the one hand, I could read this column -- even though I can probably recite the thing from memory given that it's only been a couple of months since Salon last broached this particular outrage -- or I could just confirm my suspicions about it by way of a little experiment.
Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 12.58.42 PM

So there's currently a piece running over at Salon titled "Video Games’ Race Problem Goes All the Way To the Top."

Now on the one hand, I could read it -- even though I can probably recite the thing from memory given that it's only been a couple of months since Salon last broached this particular outrage -- or I could just confirm my suspicions about it by way of a little experiment.

That's why, rather than pore over the article, I simply loaded it up a few minutes ago, then went to the "find" feature in Chrome and typed in the word "problematic."

And then, sitting here at DFW airport having a beer, I laughed out loud in front of everyone at the bar...

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 12.28.17 PM

While I'm sure my Banter colleague Sam Doloncot would disagree, I think Gawker best put into context the amusing impotence of the favorite accusatory descriptor of the liberal superintendent class.

From its regular "Word Terrorism" series:

You're at work, looking at the Internet instead of doing tasks related to your employment. Something is bothering you! Did a celebrity comment on the issue of race? What is up with Katy Perry being so old? Why is "everyone" on Twitter mentioning a #longread that just didn't do anything for you? Welcome to the world of things that are problematic -- meaning, things that don't concern you at all, as opposed to actual problems.

Or, as I said the last time Salon decided video games were its "Thing To Be Angry About of the Day," whenever you see the word "problematic" in an article, you can pretty much be assured that what you’re reading is a bunch of pompous cultural policing spit out into the ether by a comically indignant asshole.

It's a quick and easy litmus test to determine whether the piece in question needs to be taken the least bit seriously.