As a student I came up with pretty much every excuse known to mankind when it came to not handing in my homework. Forged signatures from my parents, fake illnesses, missing text books - you name it and I tried it. The one thing I never had the guts to do was the "My Dog Ate My Homework" line, because, well, everyone knows that one and the chances of pulling it off were slim to none.
But what happens when a dog does actually eat your homework?
That's exactly what happened to 13 year old Payton Moody from Colorado, who came downstairs one morning to find her that her dog Reggie had consumed "every last bite" of her candy-covered volcano . "I woke up one morning and I came down to my desk and it was just all over the floor," she told CBS Denver.
The project had been made with more than 50 pins that held the candy pieces in place, prompting the family to take Reggie to the vets for emergency surgery immediately.
“She had chocolate as the mountain and used Twizzlers for lava coming out, with blue M&Ms for water,” Kara Moody, Payton’s mother, told Good Morning America. “She used the pins because I didn’t want the hot glue gun around her younger brother.”
Reggie had also consumed a dangerous amount of chocolate, which is toxic for dogs making the surgery all the more necessary. According to TheDenverChannel:
"The majority of the pins were removed with an endoscope down his throat, but five pins had to be removed surgically.
Thankfully, Reggie has made a full recovery and Payton got an 'A' in her project after she re-did it using glue. And to the delight of students the world over, it shows you can actually use the "My Dog Ate My Homework" routine and get away with it.
If you have X-Rays to prove it, that is.
[Image via CBS Denver]