The Morning Banter: The Typhoon Aftermath, Ted Cruz Was Always an Asshole, and Is Football Culture To Blame?

Another Monday is here and that means it's time to head back into the trenches. Ben has graciously agreed to allow me to return to work myself here, on an of course probationary basis. I'll try to be on my best behavior.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Another Monday is here and that means it's time to head back into the trenches. Ben has graciously agreed to allow me to return to work myself here, on an of course probationary basis. I'll try to be on my best behavior.
Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 4.00.46 PM

Another Monday is here and that means it's time to head back into the trenches. Ben has graciously agreed to allow me to return to work myself here, on an of course probationary basis. I'll try to be on my best behavior.

Here's what you might want to read this morning to catch up after the weekend.

1. Swept Away

One of the worst storms on record is now responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths in the Philippines. Here's the latest on the efforts to clean up in the wake of the disaster.

The Huffington Post: Philippines Typhoon Death Toll Rises In Storm's Aftermath/11.10.13

2. Always the Asshole

Before Ted Cruz was a boil on the ass of American politics and someone with the inexplicable power to almost single-handedly bring the entire global financial system to the brink of collapse, he was a shitty wanna-be actor who drank too much. But at least he did it at Harvard.

The Boston Globe: How Harvard Law Outsider Became Tea Party Hero/11.10.13

3. Personal Foul

There's been a lot of copy written over the past week with regard to the story of Richie Incognito's brutal hazing of Dolphins teammate Jonathan Martin. Here's the best commentary so far: Ta-Nehisi Coates examining the racial aspect of it and Brian Phillip's terrific takedown of the culture in football that can lead to something like this.

The Atlantic: Richie Incognito's Accidental Racism: An Apologia/11.10.13

Grantland: Man Up/11.7.13

4. After Amy

I always respected the kind of music Amy Winehouse made more than I actually liked it. Not to say she didn't write some great songs but it was just one of those things I never really got into. Still, her legacy matters and certainly the impact her death had on her father, who was vilified by many for enabling her dangerous habits, remains a strong and complex issue.

Spin: Mitch Winehouse's Second Life/11.8.13

Happy Monday, kids.