The Morning Banter: New LAX Shooting Details, Bring Back the Guillotine, and the Coolest Thing You'll See All Day

It's Monday and that means it's back into the maze with you, lab rats. Here's what you need to know as well as whatever other reading material we could scrounge up to make you day a little less daunting.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It's Monday and that means it's back into the maze with you, lab rats. Here's what you need to know as well as whatever other reading material we could scrounge up to make you day a little less daunting.
Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 9.16.52 PM

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 8.25.54 PM

It's Monday and that means it's back into the maze with you, lab rats. Here's what you need to know as well as whatever other reading material we could scrounge up to make your day a little less daunting.

1. The Latest

Credit to CNN because at the moment the network's website has some of the most up-to-date and comprehensive details on Friday's LAX shooting all in one place. The latest as of midnight, 11/4 ET: The LAPD is now saying that it missed 23-year-old shooter Paul Ciancia by mere minutes at his home. Alarming texts to his family back home in New Jersey led to them warning the police that something bad may be about to happen, but by the time cops made it by the check on Ciancia, he had already left for the airport. Also, after shooting a TSA agent at point-blank range, Ciancia walked away only to turn around and try to shoot him again.

CNN: 'A Matter of Minutes:' Police Checked on LAX Suspect After He Left for the Airport/11.4.13

Gawker, meanwhile, dissects Ciancia's not-at-all-shocking anti-government conspiracist leanings. Do I even need to ask what you call someone who specifically says that his goal is to "instill fear" in the minds of his enemies?

Gawker: What We Know About LAX Gunman Paul Ciancia/11.3.13

2. Random Thoughts

It may be a couple of days old, but this is one of the best pieces to come out of Friday's LAX incident. Esquire's Charlie Pierce was there at the time and his quick, visceral thoughts on it read like someone right in the middle of the chaos of another very public shooting rampage, but still far enough removed from the actual gunfire to put into words what needs to be said about the big picture.

Esquire: There Is Nothing Random About The LAX Shooting/11.1.13

3. Chopped

It's an idea whose time has come. As long as we're talking about public executions on the steps of the Capitol.

Slate: Bring Back the Guillotine/11.1.13

4. Pryor Concerns

I'm always the first one to say when Salon runs a really good piece -- which is quite often, you simply have to wade through a lot of crap to get to it -- and the behind-the-scenes story of one of the most seismic comedy sketches to ever air on television definitely qualifies. Take a look to find out what went into Richard Pryor's legendary "word-association" sketch with Chevy Chase on SNL in 1975.

Salon: “Saturday Night Live” and Richard Pryor: The Untold Story Behind “SNL’s” Edgiest Sketch Ever/11.3.13

5. See the Light

Here's the coolest thing you'll see all day. I can't even begin to explain to you how it works, but it makes for some really colorful gifs.

The Huffington Post: Geniuses Create Magical New Gadget For Painting With Light/10.31.13