The Morning Banter: Inside Pierre Omidyar, How To Be Miserable, and "Breaking Bad's" Dream Ending

It's back to the wheel with you, gerbils, where you'll run and run and keep on running until you can maybe afford to retire and die in peace. Here's some reading material to take your mind off all of that.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It's back to the wheel with you, gerbils, where you'll run and run and keep on running until you can maybe afford to retire and die in peace. Here's some reading material to take your mind off all of that.
Screen Shot 2013-11-17 at 4.50.28 PM

It's back to the wheel with you, gerbils, where you'll run and run and keep on running until you can maybe afford to retire and die in peace. Here's some reading material to take your mind off all of that.

1. Swept Away

Here's the headline of the morning: a massive storm system that spawned dozens of tornadoes across the Midwest has left behind death and devastation in its wake.

CBS News: At Least 3 Dead in Illinois as Tornadoes Pound Midwest/11.17.13

2. Sorry State of Affairs

This is interesting stuff given the recent 60 Minutes fiasco. I've said before that there's a reason why almost every retraction you’ve ever heard from a TV news organization sounds like utter horseshit. It sounds that way because it is. The average retraction or “clarification” of a mistake made on-air is a carefully worded and heavily lawyered piece of theater designed to acknowledge a screw-up while not actually admitting to a screw-up. It’s saying that you regret the error while not taking responsibility for that error. Again, it’s nonsense. It’s done entirely for the sake of saving the station or network's ass, with a commitment to the audience barely even a consideration. The AV Club tries to explain why this is.

The AV Club: Why Network News Is So Bad for Apologizing for Itself/11.13.13

3. Meet Pierre

You know Pierre Omidyar as the man who made billions at a young age by founding eBay. You also know him as the money man behind a new news network that promises to smash the conventions of the mainstream media by giving free rein to the likes of Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill. But how much do you know about him beyond that? This may help to answer any questions you have.

NSFWCorp: The Extraordinary Pierre Omidyar/11.15.13

4. Misery Loves... More Misery

You kidding? I've been honing these skills since I was a kid.

Alternet: The 14 Habits of Highly Miserable People/11.14.13

5. The Hours

From the article: "From noon to dusk on November 22, 1963, history went dark, locked inside the closed and crowded cabin of Air Force One. Fifty years later, what happened after JFK died has fully come to light."

Esquire: The Flight from Dallas/11.16.13

6. Dream Ending

The Breaking Bad twist ending you've always wanted to see is finally a reality. Also, my girlfriend and I ran into Matt Jones, who played Badger on the show, at a bar in Silverlake on Saturday night. Yes, he's that tall, and that awesome. And yes, it was hard to remain calm instead of superfan geeking out all over the damn place.

Buzzfeed: This Breaking Bad Alternate Ending Must Be Seen To Be Believed/11.16.13