The Daily Banter Mail Bag: Reid Nukes the Filibuster, the JFK assassination, and Confronting Roseanne Barr

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Ben and Chez discuss the nuclear option, the Kennedy assassination and inviting Roseanne Barr to the Banter Christmas Party.
In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Ben and Chez discuss the nuclear option, the Kennedy assassination and inviting Roseanne Barr to the Banter Christmas Party.
harry-reid-hands-up

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Ben and Chez discuss the nuclear option, the Kennedy assassination and inviting Roseanne Barr to the Banter Christmas Party.

The questions:

1. How do you feel about Harry Reid finally giving in and using the nuclear option? I think it needed to be done but I think it's going to come back to bite the Dems at some point.
-- Tracy

Ben: It needed to be done in my opinion. It's hard to really understand what's happening right now in America, but the behavior of the Republican Party is virtually unparalleled in US history. The current crop of clowns are not just obstructionists, they're completely batshit crazy. Back in the day, Republicans were usually just racist assholes. There aren't really any applicable words to describe what they are today - the GOP is now composed of paranoid, delusional incompetents so detached from reality that many of them genuinely think Obama is a communist and a Muslim. It's utter madness and their continued hostage tactics in dealing with the Obama are putting the country in very serious danger. There has to be a functioning government for a country to survive, and the Republicans were making it impossible to run. It will come back to bite the Democrats at some point, but there are immediate concerns that are just too important. Obama needs a team of competent people to do his job, and his ability to nominate who he wants is absolutely necessary.

Chez: Exactly what you just said. I think it had to be done because the U.S. has become thoroughly ungovernable thanks to a minority party which refuses to compromise even a little. It's unfortunate that it came to this but the constant gridlock over the stupidest fucking things -- just to stymie Obama at every turn -- couldn't be allowed to go on any longer. But no, no amount of reasoning is going to make the right see that and they're going to positively seethe from here on out (as if they weren't already). Get ready for more cries of tyranny.

Bob: It's clearly Harry Reid's Hurricane Katrina... um... Gate.

2. How do you think America would be different right now if John F. Kennedy hadn't been assassinated?
--TR

Chez: Nixon would've remained president at least through 1985 when Ozymandias annihilated most of New York City. But at least America and the Soviets would've stood down in their arms race.

Bob: We'd be far less cynical than we are now, and the Democratic Party would've avoided 20 years of weak, watered down candidates. Government transparency would've occurred naturally and without the hoopla of Watergate.

Ben: Difficult to say really. I don't necessarily think leaders have too much to do with the culture of a country, particularly one the size of America. Sure, Kennedy stood for a lot of things from a superficial point of view (he was young, good looking and charismatic), but cultural shifts usually have a life of their own. There were many, many causes behind the counter culture revolution in the 60's and 70's, and it's hard to say how much influence one politician had over any of it. It's hard to predict what Kennedy would have done had he lived out the rest of his term - he may have enacted a bold vision for the country, or tried to ride the dramatic shifts in culture and not tried to rock the boat too much. In other words, I have absolutely no idea.

3. Will Roseanne get an invitation to the Daily Banter Christmas party and if so will there be pictures we can see?
--Chris

Bob: She won't attend, but if she does, I'll turn it into the most awesome documentary film ever.

Chez: Everyone is invited to the Daily Banter Christmas party. The password to get in is "Fidelio." Bring your own mask.

Ben: Christmas is a false flag, Chris. Don't you know that?