Supermarket Offers British Woman £10 After Lethal Brazilian Spiders Burst Out of Banana Bag

A British woman was offered £10 [$16] in compensation from supermarket Sainsbury's for having the world's deadliest spiders jump out at her from a bag of bananas.
A British woman was offered £10 [$16] in compensation from supermarket Sainsbury's for having the world's deadliest spiders jump out at her from a bag of bananas.
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 7.46.37 PM

14723_527029167316936_220533889_n

Q: What's worse than finding a maggot in your banana?

A: Half a maggot

A: A BUNCH OF DEADLY FUCKING SPIDERS.

No seriously, that's exactly what happened to a British woman who was offered £10  [$16] in compensation from supermarket Sainsbury's for having the world's deadliest spiders jump out at her from a bag of bananas. FromMetro:

A family had to move into a hotel and fumigate their home after deadly South American spiders began hatching out of a bunch of Sainsbury’s bananas.

Terrified Consi Taylor, 29, said she saw something that looked like mould on a Colombian Fairtrade banana she was eating.

However, on closer inspection she said she saw some ‘funny looking spots’ and realised something was wrong.

‘I had a closer look and was horrified to see they were spiders. They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet. I was so scared I started crying,’ she told The Sun.

Sainsbury’s initially gave Consi and her husband Richard, 37, a £10 voucher to make up for their troubles.

After the house was fumigated, the family had have their house fumigated and all their clothes dry-cleaned. Including the hotel they stayed in, the costs ran to £1,000 ($1600). Sainsbury's paid the family's expenses. Here's the Wikipedia entry on the deadly creature:

Phoneutria, commonly known as Brazilian wandering spidersarmed spiders ("armadeiras", as they are known in Portuguese), or banana spiders (not to be confused with the relatively harmless Nephila), are a genus of aggressive and venomous spiders of potential medical significance to humans. They are mainly found in tropical South America, with one species in Central America.[1] These spiders are members of the Ctenidae family of wandering spiders.

How deadly are they? Pretty damn lethal if you don't have the antidote: