MTV's 'The Real World' Explodes With Ground Breaking New Format!

One of the best ways to understand progress in America is to take a macro look at a long-standing cultural institution like MTV's 'The Real World' and map its evolution. Reflecting the changing reality of America, the 29th season promises a ground breaking new format set to revolutionize reality TV. What's the hook? You'll really never guess...
One of the best ways to understand progress in America is to take a macro look at a long-standing cultural institution like MTV's 'The Real World' and map its evolution. Reflecting the changing reality of America, the 29th season promises a ground breaking new format set to revolutionize reality TV. What's the hook? You'll really never guess...
stephen-slaps-irene-1312228591

Sometimes, it’s hard to take a step back and realize just how far we’ve come as a society. Sure we can pass bills and enact laws which can bring about concrete change, but aside from the ever-unreliable polling system, it’s hard to actually gauge cultural opinion. One of the best ways, though, is to take a macro look at a long-standing cultural institution and map its evolution; you know, those heralded flagships that reflect our views and beliefs as a society.

Like MTV’s The Real World

The second-longest running reality show (with the honorable Cops taking the gold) has always relied on exposing what happens when seven strangers from disparate, usually outlying walks of life, stop being polite and start being real. And until recently, that formula had been quite successful. Especially in its early-years heyday, the show infiltrated an entire generation’s psyche and was usually that generation’s first look at things like someone with AIDS, interracial relationships, and the consequences of slapping a girl with Lyme disease.

But now, with the show’s 29th season looming, a lot of those demographics aren’t as fringe as they once were, and Jonathan Murray, co-creator of the series, had to look beyond just the cliche gay guy or naive Southern virgin. He had to go big. He needed to look at an even more progressive maligned sliver of society, and what they came up with was…

..exes.

This season, one month into their three-month stay at the house, the castmates will be surprised with the fact that their exes have moved in as well. All because no one really gives a shit anymore that two guys are caught with the night vision camera doing some cardio work beneath the sheets.

Yes, as Murray himself put it when speaking with Entertainment Weekly, “When The Real World went on the air in ’92 you put seven diverse people together and you get conflict, and out of that conflict would come change, and then you have a story. Now that it’s 21 years or so later, maybe we’re a bit of a victim of our own success. Diversity is a fact of life today. A lot of young people date people of different races, or have friends who are gay. The world has changed.”

So congratulations America!

/2nb4kk4.jpg

States are legalizing gay marriage left and right, our country is more becoming diverse by the second, and this is our big reward: 14 strangers, all of which have a sexual history with someone else in the house, becoming temporary TV stars as they drink for 90 days straight!

Let's hope that this at least helps show the world that 14-person orgies deserve the same rights to happiness that we all do.