While right-wingers in 2013 struggle to crow-bar President Kennedy into a conservative frame, contemporaneous evidence proves the opposite to be true. Conservatives of 1960-63 hated Kennedy and thought he was hard-left -- communist, among other things. In fact, many of the attacks against Kennedy eerily resemble attacks against President Obama, and even President Clinton before him.
We've all seen the anti-Kennedy "Wanted for TREASON" poster circulated in Dallas by the right-wing proto-tea-party known as the John Birch Society in the days before the assassination, but it's startling to actually read the text of the propaganda.
In it, you'll notice familiar refrains: accusations of communism, leading from behind, anti-Christian behavior, fueling racial tensions and violations of states' rights. The president's successes distorted into failures and he's accused of lying about his mysterious past, etc...
THIS MAN is wanted for treasonous activities against the United States:
1. Betraying the Constitution (which he swore to uphold): He is turning the sovereignty of the U.S. over to the communist controlled United Nations. He is betraying our friends (Cuba, Katanga, Portugal) and befriending our enemies (Russia, Yugoslavia, Poland).
2. He has been WRONG on innumerable issues affecting the security of the U.S. (United Nations-Berlin wall-Missile removal-Cuba-Wheat deals-Test Ban Treaty, etc.)
3. He has been lax in enforcing Communist Registration laws.
4. He has given support and encouragement to the Communist inspired racial riots.
5. He has illegally invaded a sovereign State with federal troops.
6. He has consistently appointed Anti-Christians to Federal office: Upholds the Supreme Court in its Anti-Christian rulings. Aliens and known Communists abound in Federal offices.
7. He has been caught in fantastic LIES to the American people (including personal ones like his previous marriage and divorce).
This isn't to suggest that President Obama might be assassinated. But it's enlightening to take a good look at a script that really hasn't changed in 50 years. In 50 years, they really haven't been able to come up with anything new.