Quote of the Day: Kanye West Owns the Confederate Flag

Some pundits can predict important world events or what a political leader will or won't do next. I have Kanye figured out. The line to kiss my ass forms to the left.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Some pundits can predict important world events or what a political leader will or won't do next. I have Kanye figured out. The line to kiss my ass forms to the left.
Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 11.27.17 AM

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 11.24.51 AM

"React how you want. Like I said, any energy you got is good energy. You know, the Confederate flag represented slavery... So I took the Confederate flag and made it my flag. It’s my flag now! Now what are you gonna do?"

-- Kanye West on AMP Radio, explaining his decision to feature merchandise emblazoned with the Confederate flag on his Yeezus tour

Why am I bothering with this? Because if I don't give myself a pat on the back nobody's gonna do it for me. (Well, aside from the good folks at The Superficial.)

Some have said he's attempting to "take it back" in much the same way black and hip-hop culture have claimed that the use of the word "nigger" is a kind of co-opting and defanging of a term so long used to subjugate and dehumanize. I think the reality, though, is far more brutally and brilliantly subversive. By taking complete ownership of the confederate flag to the point where he's actually selling it to people, Kanye West is sending a message and issuing a challenge. That message? Fuck you. It's a giant fuck-you to the people who worship the image and the symbolism of the confederate flag. I'm not even sure he means for these items to sell so much as he is making the statement that he, Kanye West -- one of the richest, most culturally influential, and most famous black men in America -- can essentially put his name on the goddamn confederate flag. Imagine how offensive that is to those who've traditionally embraced that flag and what it stands for? He can own it and he can sell it. It belongs to a black man. It's his property.