Parents Invent 'Dinovember'; Win Parents of the Year Award

Started last year, 'Dinovember' is proof that good parenting still exists. By spending the month pretending that their children's toy dinosaur's have come alive, the couple have done more to ensure the future weirdness and happiness of their kids than any ridiculous cartoon show or iPad app ever could.
Started last year, 'Dinovember' is proof that good parenting still exists. By spending the month pretending that their children's toy dinosaur's have come alive, the couple have done more to ensure the future weirdness and happiness of their kids than any ridiculous cartoon show or iPad app ever could.
dinosaurs

My close friend Emily once confided in me that she doesn’t care if her hypothetical future kids are pretty, cool, or even smart…

She just wants them to be weird.

Pretty people are scientifically predisposed to being the worst, cool people are usually burying deep-seeded insecurity, and we all know that saying about ignorance and bliss.

It’s the weird that are truly happy. It’s the weird that are most free.

And that’s why I love Refe Tuma and his wife, who founded Dinovember...

Started last year, Dinovember is proof that these Parents of the Year have done more to ensure the future weirdness and happiness of their children than any ridiculous cartoon show or iPad app ever could.

I’d go on praising them, but I'd rather just let them do the talking:

Why do we do this? Because in the age of iPads and Netflix, we don’t want our kids to lose their sense of wonder and imagination. In a time when the answers to all the world’s questions are a web-search away, we want our kids to experience a little mystery. All it takes is some time and energy, creativity, and a few plastic dinosaurs.

Childhood is fleeting, so let’s make sure it’s fun while it lasts…

Every year, my wife and I devote the month of November to convincing our children that, while they sleep, their plastic dinosaur figures come to life. It began modestly enough. The kids woke up to discover that the dinosaurs had gotten into a box of cereal and made a mess on the kitchen table.

Dino1

The next morning, the dinos had climbed onto the kitchen counter to raid the fruit bowl.

Dino2

The morning after that, they had managed to breach the refrigerator and help themselves to a carton of eggs. “Uh-oh,” we heard our girls whisper. “Mom and Dad are not going to like this.”

Dino3

Things quickly escalated from there. More often than not, the dinos’ antics were less than tidy. They are dinosaurs, after all.

Dino4

“Don’t let Mom and Dad see this—the dinos drew on the wall!”

“Mom’s favorite vase!”

Dino5

Dino6

Dino7

“Mom and Dad, you should really lock the kitchen.”

To be fair, they did clean up after themselves from time to time.

Dino8

Usually, though, the dinosaurs are just like anybody else—looking to have a good time.

Dino9

Dino10

“They made him look like Barney.”

Dino11

Dino12

“The dinos are really good at tin-foil, Daddy.”

No toy is safe...

Dino13