Now Hear This: You Never Forget Your First Act of Sacrilege

At the top of the list of the pastor's regular rock-and-roll targets was this band. Why? Well, there was the cover for this album, which he would thrust into the camera with the kind of shock, disgust and anger usually reserved for townsfolk about to burn the local pedophile at the stake.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
At the top of the list of the pastor's regular rock-and-roll targets was this band. Why? Well, there was the cover for this album, which he would thrust into the camera with the kind of shock, disgust and anger usually reserved for townsfolk about to burn the local pedophile at the stake.
Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 8.48.46 AM

Back in the early 80s there was this show on one of the Christian channels at the ass end of the dial called The Eagle's Nest. It was hosted by one Pastor Gary Greenwald, who looked a little like Doug Henning, if Henning had performed a trick that magically turned him into a heterosexual.

Greenwald's thing was warning kids about the dangers of rock music, which was a huge cottage industry in the Christian TV and radio market at that time. He'd play Queen's Another One Bites the Dust backward, insisting that if you listened closely you could hear Freddie Mercury say, "I've decided to smoke marijuana," which in hindsight is so wonderfully quaint when you consider how offensive to fundamentalist Christianity much of Freddie's real behavior would've been.

At the top of the list of Greenwald's regular rock-and-roll targets, though, was AC/DC. Why? Well, there was Highway To Hell, Hells Bells, and of course the cover for this album, which Pastor Gary would thrust into the camera with the kind of shock, disgust and anger usually reserved for townsfolk about to burn the local pedophile at the stake.

Needless to say, as soon as I saw that cover -- I had to have the record. And it's still one of my favorites.

There's seriously nothing cooler than Bon Scott-era AC/DC.

Here's If You Want Blood (You've Got It).