Now Hear This: Stone Temple Pilots Have a New Frontman

Last month the band put out their EP with Chester Bennington, High Rise, and what I like most about it is that it's so reminiscent of the more melodic kind of stuff STP used to do during the Purple and Tiny Music era.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Last month the band put out their EP with Chester Bennington, High Rise, and what I like most about it is that it's so reminiscent of the more melodic kind of stuff STP used to do during the Purple and Tiny Music era.
Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 8.02.44 AM

This past summer at the KROQ Weenie Roast here in L.A., Stone Temple Pilots made a surprise appearance that was all the more surprising because of who they had singing for them: Linkin Park's Chester Bennington. Within a couple of days, they'd released an official single as a band called Out of Time, which sounded like, well, Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington on vocals.

Last month the band put out their EP together, High Rise, and what I like most about it is that it's so reminiscent of the more melodic kind of stuff STP used to do during the Purple and Tiny Music era. While I always loved the talented but shockingly unreliable Scott Weiland as a frontman, his need to continue being a rock star as the years went on resulted in a lot of powerful but emotionally stunted cock-rock from the band; Bennington just sings, and sings well. The hooks are there, the harmonies are there. Maybe they should've changed the name of the band, as they did when they recorded the Talk Show and Army of Anyone albums -- Weiland sure as hell thinks so -- but it does sound like old STP, and that's pretty okay.

Here's Same on the Inside.