Now Hear This: Marking el Dia de los Muertos

Halloween was great, but it's actually the couple of days that now follow it that mark one of my favorite times of the year. Christians know it as All Saints' Day or All Souls' Day, but in Mexico -- or in Los Angeles, where I live -- it's better known as el Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Halloween was great, but it's actually the couple of days that now follow it that mark one of my favorite times of the year. Christians know it as All Saints' Day or All Souls' Day, but in Mexico -- or in Los Angeles, where I live -- it's better known as el Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead.
Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 11.07.26 AM

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 11.02.56 AM

Halloween was great, but it's actually the couple of days that now follow it that mark one of my favorite times of the year. Christians know it as All Saints' Day or All Souls' Day, but in Mexico -- or in Los Angeles, where I live -- it's better known as el Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead.

Sure, I'm vehemently anti-religion, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the eerie beauty of the Day of the Dead "celebration" -- and it truly is beautiful.

In honor of el Dia de los Muertos, I'd suggest eating a few candy skulls and listening to this -- a playfully surrealist song and video that are often criminally overlooked when the Best of the 90s lists are put together.

Here's Los Lobos -- Kiko and the Lavender Moon.