Kanye West Gets Real With The American Psycho: The 10 Best Quotes

"American Psycho" author Bret Easton Ellis has started a weekly podcast featuring "popular culture's most fascinating minds". The first episode featured Kanye West, and what can only be described as a casual game of 'Who Can Sound More Pretentious?' ensued. Here are the 10 best quotes from the awesome interview.
"American Psycho" author Bret Easton Ellis has started a weekly podcast featuring "popular culture's most fascinating minds". The first episode featured Kanye West, and what can only be described as a casual game of 'Who Can Sound More Pretentious?' ensued. Here are the 10 best quotes from the awesome interview.
Kanye-West

It’s the podcast you didn’t even realize you didn’t want.

To quote its own press release:

Controversial best-selling author and screenwriter Bret Easton Ellis delivers a weekly glimpse into one of popular culture's most fascinating minds. The entertainment industry's top writers, directors, actors and musicians will join Bret to discuss the issues and complexities that keep the creative world turning as we experience this intriguing period in our planet's history. The same sensibilities that have formed Bret's impressive catalog in literature and film will be on display with each and every new episode of The Bret Easton Ellis Podcast.

Lucky for us, he came out of the gates swinging in terms of a first guest and had Kanye West join him for a casual game of Who Can Sound More Pretentious?. The two, who had collaborated on an  American Psycho-inspired promo for Yeezus, discuss everything from 12 Years a Slave to the glass ceilings of the fashion world, and almost everything that comes out of Mr. West’s mouth is pure gold.

And if Kanye’s feud with Jimmy Kimmel has taught me anything, it’s that he loves being quoted out of context. With that in mind, I’ve decided to list my Top 10 Favorite Kanye Quotes From The Brett Easton Ellis Podcast Interview. Enjoy!

10: “Let’s just go ahead and watch [Breaking Bad] so we can be like normal human beings.”

9: “The skill set to dress nice is too high.”

8: “I think the movie I’ve seen most in my life is Menace To Society, and I know that sounds cliche…”

7: “What are the things that flash before your eyes if you’re about to die? I want to create from that point.”

6: “Every video I’ve done is basically a short film.”

5: “I think that’s part of my success, my drops of cheesiness.”

4: “I got into this giant argument with the head of Zappos. He’s trying to tell me what I needed to focus on, meanwhile he’s selling all this shit product to everybody and his whole thing is based on selling shit product. How do you tell me to focus? My focus is on humanity.”

3: “Now, I’m mentally, completely 3 years old.”

2: “I’m super dedicated to awesomeness.”

And the #1, gold medal winner...

1: “Right now I’m able to talk and be here and live in LA and make a living and get engaged to my girl because I’m a successful musician, currently. But if I were to write my title like going through the airport and you have to put down what you do, I would literally write ‘Creative Genius,’ except for two reasons: sometimes it takes too long to write that and sometimes I spell the word ‘genius’ wrong.”

And wanna know the best part?

This was only part 1 of a two-part interview...

If you want more of Kanye’s quips, quotes, and sociological analysis like I do, you’re going to have to wait for Part 2, which will be released next week. Fingers crossed he starts accidentally quoting Patrick Batemen and says something like, "I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.”