Glenn Greenwald Thinks the Press Should've Exposed Secret U.S.-Iranian Talks

No, we can't know everything about everything -- especially in real time. It doesn't work like that. Some things need to remain secret otherwise serious objectives will be disrupted.
No, we can't know everything about everything -- especially in real time. It doesn't work like that. Some things need to remain secret otherwise serious objectives will be disrupted.
greenwald_head_scratch

You might've noticed that I've been off the Glenn Greenwald / Edward Snowden beat for a while. Call me crazy, but healthcare and the conga-line of lies being told about the Affordable Care Act are just a smigde more important than metadata and Australia spying on Indonesia. Wow. Just typing that sentence gave me a raging headache.

But today, and quoting The Godfather Part III, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." Greenwald tweeted something that was so utterly ridiculous, it had to be shared and subsequently ridiculed.

Here it is:

Yep, Greenwald seems to be implying that the AP and Al-Monitor were too snuggly with the administration and capitulated to its request for secrecy.

There's something to be said for an earnest, thoughtful campaign to promote increased government transparency. If Greenwald was ever in that place, I haven't seen it. Instead, his approach has gone from being irritating and misleading to, now, with this, entitled and childishly naive.

No, we can't know everything about everything -- especially in real time. It doesn't work like that. Some things need to remain secret otherwise serious objectives will be disrupted. In this case, the negotiations needed to remain behind closed doors for a variety of reasons including the fact that hardliners in both the U.S. and Iran, not to mention Israel, would've lost their collective shpadoinkle and potentially flummoxed the whole thing.

Come to think of it, they still might. But we never would've reached this stage had the talks been made public.

Ultimately, the AP and Al-Monitor absolutely did the right thing by cooperating with the administration. Greenwald, on the other hand, would've knee-jerked and zealously dumped everything online -- probably with a hyperbolic lede and a click-bait headline.

International diplomacy is serious business for serious people. Greenwald isn't serious people.