The Morning Banter: Spying on the Spy, Your Sex Sucks, and Creepy Street View Images

We made it through another week and it's almost time to make a hasty exit out of the drop-ceilinged, fluorescent lit, Aeron-chaired, living Tetris game you know as your office and go get obscenely drunk. But before the festivities start, here's some nonsense you can pore over in your cubicle.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
We made it through another week and it's almost time to make a hasty exit out of the drop-ceilinged, fluorescent lit, Aeron-chaired, living Tetris game you know as your office and go get obscenely drunk. But before the festivities start, here's some nonsense you can pore over in your cubicle.
Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 11.37.09 PM

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 11.14.08 PM

Well, kids, we made it through another week and it's almost time to make a hasty exit out of the drop-ceilinged, fluorescent lit, Aeron-chaired, living Tetris game you know as your office and go get obscenely drunk. But before the festivities start, here's some nonsense you can pore over in your cubicle.

1. The Conversation

The internet is just all abuzz right now after Tom Matzzie, who used to work as an activist for MoveOn out of D.C., eavesdropped on and live-tweeted part of a phone conversation going on on a train he happened to be taking. The conversation was between former NSA Director Michael Hayden and some reporters. If you stand up and look out on the horizon you can probably see the Beacons-of-Gondor-style torches being lit one-at-a-time by the people in that anti-NSA video from a couple of days ago, letting each of them know that it's time to break out the giddy schadenfreude and cries of, "See? How does it feel to be spied on?!"

Word has it Hayden's not thrilled, but if his conversation was meant to be private perhaps he shouldn't have been shouting it on a train.

Slate: Ex-NSA Head Gets Eavesdropped On, Livetweeted by Ex-MoveOn Activist/10.24.13

New York Magazine: Tom Matzzie on Why He Live-Tweeted a Former CIA Director's Private Conversation, and Whether That Made Him Nervous/10.24.13

2. Writer Block

There's a part of me that exhales a very pronounced "uh-oh" every time I hear that anyone who had anything to do with the stories for the past Star Wars movies is going to be involved in Star Wars VII. I just think it'd be a good idea to bring entirely new blood into the creative process, which is why I was excited about Michael Arndt being chosen to write the new movie. Well, he's now officially out. In is Lawrence Kasdan, who admittedly helped to give us Empire and Raiders. The problem is he also brought us Dreamcatcher, The Bodyguard, and The Big Chill. Time will tell, I guess.

The Verge: J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan taking over as writers of 'Star Wars: Episode VII'/10.24.13

3. Lay of the Land

Looking for a reason to justify never getting married? Well, science is happy to step up and provide you with one. According to a new study, married couples don't have sex for fun; the primary motivation is either approach or avoidance (as opposed to the A-word motivation behind most single-person sex: alcohol).

There. And now you're depressed. Thanks, science!

The Wall Street Journal: The Real Reason Couples Have Sex/10.21.13

4. Lame Bryant

Anna Wintour is cozying up to Lena Dunham and will apparently soon put her on the cover of Vogue.

1) Those words don't make any sense in that order.

2) This news is interesting to you only if you happen to live in a six block radius on the Upper East Side or in about a three-block section of Williamsburg.

3) Why do I get the feeling Wintour is secretly planning to use Dunham's skin to sew herself a new, young woman suit (couture, of course)?

If Dunham suddenly shows up with a new tattoo of two big diamond shapes on her back, we'll know what Anna's got planned for her.

The Huffington Post: Lena Dunham Hangs With Anna Wintour, Making That Vogue Cover Seem Even More Likely.../10.24.13

5. Boo-gle

Just in time for Halloween: half-dead cows, abandoned babies, aliens in lawn chairs, and ghost towns. It's all there for the viewing thanks to the internet.

Mashable: The 20 Scariest Google Street View Sightings/10.23:13

And to top it all off for your Friday, here's a baby in an LED stick figure costume. It will make you smile. If it doesn't, you're a communist.