The Daily Banter Mail Bag: the Angry Childish GOP, Greenwald's Q&A and How F**ked Are We?

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Bob, and Chez discuss the angry children in the Republican Party, Greenwald's Reddit Q&A and how truly f**ked we are right now.
In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Bob, and Chez discuss the angry children in the Republican Party, Greenwald's Reddit Q&A and how truly f**ked we are right now.
republicans_fiscal_cliff_disarray

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Bob, and Chez discuss the angry children in the Republican Party, Greenwald's Reddit Q&A and how truly f**ked we are right now.

The questions:

1. Is there anything that can be done to get the Republicans to reverse course and stop behaving like angry children? It seems impossible to stop them at this point.
-- Sara

Ben: I actually think Wall Street might have the power to change things up. They're basically a bunch of greedy assholes, and at the end of the day, pretty non political. If the GOP is costing the banks real money (and shutting down the economy certainly does that), expect them to exert some serious pressure at some point. The Republicans are bullies and only understand force. Obama can't punish them directly, and the midterms are still months away so the voters don't have much sway either. That leaves the money men, and they can make shit happen quick. If Wall st promises to punish the Republicans, they'll change their childish behavior fast.

Chez: I wish I could think of something and to be honest, while I know how awful things are, I've just about given up. I spend most days trying to put my head in the sand because I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix any of it. As long as the districts in the South and Midwest continue to be gerrymandered, we're going to be stuck with the craziest of the crazy from the Republicans in the House, the people who passed whatever purity test the yokels back home demand that they pass if they want to stay in office and not be primaried by someone even more fucking ridiculous than they are. I'm all ears to Bob and Ben's solutions because I'm out of them.

Bob: Some of them, yes. The tea party, no way. So in the coming weeks, it'll be a shoving match between those two groups in spite of the public view that it's all about the president versus the Republicans. In reality, it's Republicans versus Republicans.

2. Did any of you take Glenn Greenwald up on his offer to "ask him anything" on Reddit this week. If not, why. I thought for sure you guys would have a great time with it.
-- Pete

Chez: I didn't see the results of his appearance but I'll assume that most of those who asked him questions were suitably in thrall of his brilliance. Admittedly, it would've been entertaining to pelt him with the kinds of questions that normally get you blocked by him on Twitter, but he'd just brush them off and haughtily bitch about it later. I don't know. I guess I had better things to do.

Bob: I didn't know about it until it was too late, otherwise I would've tried. But it's likely he would've ignored me because I refuse to give him an inch on anything.

Ben: Shit, didn't see that! Would have BEGGED Chez to take part in it.

3. As a nation, exactly how fucked are we right now?
-- TJ

Bob: In the grand scheme, we've seen worse. Other nations have seen far worse than that. However, on the fucked list, we're way up there right now.

Chez: Oh completely. We're at FuckedCon-1.

Ben: I keep trying to find positives, like still having running water and street lights, but there's not much else to be honest. It's pretty scary watching the worlds most powerful nation grind to a halt over extending health insurance to poor people. The US government is essentially a defunct institution that has been plundered by Wall St, the oil industry and corrupted by political elites for far too many years. We're witnessing the results of decades mismanagement and dysfunction, left unchecked by a population so detached from reality that it no longer really understands how fucked it is. The solution to the mass shooting of little children? More guns. Global warming? Drill baby drill! Government increases spending on health care and food stamps? Shut the whole thing down. It's absolute lunacy, yet it goes on and on and on.