The Cycle of Social Media Celebrity Strikes Again

It practically goes without saying that since so many people found Shifrin's video amusing she's become an instant celebrity, the kind our internet culture now churns out with aggravating regularity. And of course, since there's a very specific script that these kinds of things follow -- a Social Media Celebrity Cycle -- you could predict without a bit of hesitation what was going to happen next for Shifrin.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It practically goes without saying that since so many people found Shifrin's video amusing she's become an instant celebrity, the kind our internet culture now churns out with aggravating regularity. And of course, since there's a very specific script that these kinds of things follow -- a Social Media Celebrity Cycle -- you could predict without a bit of hesitation what was going to happen next for Shifrin.
Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 11.22.34 AM

Screen Shot 2013-10-03 at 11.21.01 AM

If you're a dedicated internet denizen, by now you're probably well aware of the story of Marina Shifrin, the beautiful and unique millennial snowflake who quit her job in a blaze of glory by posting a clever video to YouTube. In the clip, Shifrin dances all around her empty office to Kanye West's Gone while lamenting, through subtitles, the fact that she has to work long hours, has sacrificed her social life for a boss who cares more about quantity than quality, and generally isn't patted on the back every minute of every day by enabling parents or given a blue ribbon just for showing up the way she has throughout most of her life. It's an admittedly entertaining way to quit a job and the video was indeed enjoyed by millions of people, most of whom then immediately applied for the opening at a high-profile overseas media company as they're unemployed and were eating Friskies' Mariner's Catch while watching the clip on their roommate's laptop.

It practically goes without saying that since so many people found Shifrin's video amusing she's become an instant celebrity, the kind our internet culture now churns out with aggravating regularity. And of course, since there's a very specific script that these kinds of things follow -- a Social Media Celebrity Cycle -- you could predict without a bit of hesitation what was going to happen next for Shifrin. And happen it did. Yesterday, Shifrin appeared on Queen Latifah's new talk show and was promptly offered a job. So, for those playing along at home: Shirfin broadcast to the world that she was quitting her job because she hated having to do the basic tasks the position required, proving that she's a whiny little asshole, and she's now been hired, publicly, to work for a syndicated American talk show. Let that be a lesson to you, kids.

I guess the best we can hope for is that it was all a trick and Latifah runs her show the way Mama Morton ran the Cook County Jail in Chicago. Or, more likely, that once Shifrin's ten seconds in the spotlight are up, she'll be history.