Tea Party Tenther Steve Stockman Demands FEMA Assistance

I've read and studied the Constitution and I don't recall where FEMA is enumerated as an Article II executive branch power. Also, I don't live in Texas, so why should my tax dollars be, you know, redistributed via FEMA to help Stockman's home state? Texas should reject all federal assistance because, after all, the states can handle it, can't they?
I've read and studied the Constitution and I don't recall where FEMA is enumerated as an Article II executive branch power. Also, I don't live in Texas, so why should my tax dollars be, you know, redistributed via FEMA to help Stockman's home state? Texas should reject all federal assistance because, after all, the states can handle it, can't they?
stockman_nugent

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) with buddy Ted Nugent.

In the months following the gun massacre at Sandy Hook, Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) went on a rampage against the president for daring to enact new gun regulations through a series of executive orders. Stockman, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), introduced the "Restore the Constitution Act of 2013," intended to nullify the president's executive orders.

Yes, Stockman and Paul are Tenthers. Carved from the same cloth as pre-Civil War states' rights champions like John C. Calhoun, they believe the 10th Amendment allows the states to overrule federal laws. Furthmore, Tenthers also believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution -- specifically, if a governmental power isn't enumerated in the document, it doesn't exist. By the way, Stockman is also associated with far-right states' rights and secession activists.

Knowing this, and with Tropical Storm Karen heading toward the Gulf Coast, I thought this tweet today from Stockman was interesting:

I've read and studied the Constitution and I don't recall where FEMA is enumerated as an Article II executive branch power. Also, I don't live in Texas, so why should my tax dollars be, you know, redistributed via FEMA to help Stockman's home state? Texas should reject all federal assistance because, after all, the states can handle it, can't they?

Okay, I'm not really in favor of that. But Stockman should be. On the other hand, here's me expecting consistency from a Twitter troll.