Perhaps the Most Infuriatingly Stupid Obamacare Story You’ll Read All Day

get_a_brain_morans

I just — I don’t even — just read this, via Charlie Pierce:

“I don’t think that the government should be involved in health care or health insurance,” says Greg Collett, a 41-year-old software developer in Caldwell, Idaho, who would rather pay the fine for now — $95 the first year — than signup. “I calculated it out and it is cheaper for me for the next four years to pay the fine rather than get coverage,” Collett said. “At some point where it would make financial sense to pay for insurance rather than pay fines, I will make the decision from a financial standpoint.”…Collett counts himself among the 29 percent of people who said in an NBCNews/Kaiser poll they are angry about the health reform law. “The issue for me is that it is not the proper role of government,” he said.

Okay, so what happens if he’s hit by a car or discovers a lump in one of his testicles? Hopefully, for his sake, it’ll happen during the next open enrollment period or else he’s going to incur a world of debt.

Now make sure you’re not drinking any beverages when you read the next line…

Collett, who is married and has 10 children, says the kids are covered by Medicaid, the joint state-federal health insurance plan for people with low income and children who are not covered. But it’s “absolutely not okay,” that they are, Collett says quickly. “There are a lot of people out there that’ll cry foul.” Collett, whose children are home-schooled, likens taking Medicaid to sending children to public school. He also does not approve of government-funded public schools. “The government is taking your money. They are spending it on things they shouldn’t be,” he says. “Trying to get whatever you can back — I have nothing against that. You have to at some point try and get your tax dollars back.”

He has ten home-schooled children and he’s opposed to government healthcare, yet his children are covered by Medicaid. This is exactly how these people justify their glaring contradictions. His kids are on Medicaid, but that’s only because the government is taking too much of his money in taxes so he’s taking some of it back.

And good news! He and his wife are educating a litter of children. Watch out — next year he’ll be running for Congress.

UPDATE: I was joking about running for Congress. I didn’t know he actually ran for state office.

  • KarenJ

    Eight of those 10 children are adopted from foster homes from other cities in the state and other states in the USA, but seriously, aren’t those 10 children — supported by a man who says that he pays his medical bills, and is in business for himself as a software developer — actually TAKING away Medicaid coverage that 10 other much less fortunate Idaho children might have access to?

    Good point, too, marylarryandjesus, that those 10 kids are ALSO a tax deduction.

    All the guy now needs to do is move the whole brood up to Alaska, live there for more than a year, and be eligible for the more-or-less $1000/person (no matter how old) Permanent Fund Dividend every year, AND take advantage of Alaska’s equally challenged Medicaid coverage availability (both Idaho and Alaska have rejected the amplified Medicaid coverage under the ACA). That would make him a TAKER twice over.

  • Ipsophakto
  • Ipsophakto
  • Ipsophakto
  • Ipsophakto
  • Ipsophakto
  • Ipsophakto

    PA Families Complain About High Obamacare Premiums:”It Will Take Food Out Of Our Mouths”
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/10/pa-families-complain-about-high-obamacare-premiumsit-will-take-food-out-of-our-mouths/

  • Ipsophakto
  • Ipsophakto

    Andrew Puzder: ObamaCare and the Part-Time Economy
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303382004579127162339871336.htm

  • Ipsophakto

    Obama lied. I have a plan I like. $525 /mo, private insurance, not employer sponsored or subsidized. He said I could keep it. I got the cancellation letter last month. The letter says that due to ACA requirements, tha plan will end. I checked the exchange and my premium will double! $1078 / mo. How is that more “affordable”? Obama promised that if we like the plan we have, we can keep it, no matter what, period. Associated Press agrees, Obama lied.

    What this means for me is $180,000 in mandated ransom payments to Obama over the next 30 years. That’s money not saved or invested for my retirement or my child’s college fund, not growing. This is economic insanity and we must stop the pilfering.

  • ReaderV

    Sigh, some people need to turn off Fox snooze.

  • norapettingill

    Re-dub this site The Daily “Name” Caller. Much more accurate. And now watch the name calling begin…..right here.

  • Chip70

    So.. With all we know.. Does this make him a leftist, or right wing? A democrat, or republican? Or a Tea Party member? What the hell is Greg Collett? A freak Frankenstein of all our combine halloween nightmares?

  • AnnaRhodes

    What’s a Moran?

  • Azr43l

    He sounds like a total redneck hick, but he kind of has a point. He’s paying taxes into the public school system and his kids don’t use it, so he’s getting his money back via Medicaid. Twisted, but kind of accurate.

    Yeah liberals, this guy is the model for conservatives….. *rolleyes* You’re as bad as the tea partiers you so despise.

    • feloniousgrammar

      His children, his family, his neighborhood, his town, etc., get the benefit of having children that are not so indoctrinated with religious belief that it makes it difficult to impossible for them to deal with the world as it is. As much as these religious nuts think they want to live in a world of only them, that world is devolution, unnecessary suffering, the abuse of power, and ceaseless conflict.

      Though this father may do everything in his power to make sure that his children can’t escape him or his cult; there is a way out into world that will not try to control every aspect of their hearts and minds. Who cares if he resents it? Why shouldn’t he pay for it like every other tax paying person in the country? If he pays taxes.

      There are all kinds of things I don’t want my taxes to fund, but this country doesn’t exist just for me. It’s antisocial to think that your government should finance itself according to your every religious and personal whim. That’s some serious deluded and narcissistic thinking.

    • Razor

      I also pay for wars I don’t participate in… this is how taxes work. You pay into the pot, your elected representatives in congress decide what to do with it. Don’t like what it’s spent on? Vote them out.

      Don’t like public school? You’re in the minority seeing as less than 10% of children are in private schools and it’s on the decline. You’re always welcome to move to Sudan though!

  • Susan Lowry

    Wow.. when i read the last part about him running for state rep, I thought suddenly that, maybe I was actually reading The Onion. But no.. it’s true.. WOW!

  • http://thegloomyhistorian.blogspot.com/ The Gloomy Historian

    A long time ago, in THIS COUNTRY, people so blatantly brain-damaged were involuntarily sterilized for the good of society. The idea (eugenics) really took off in the first years of the Great Depression. There were many glen beck inspired stories about selective breeding, etc, during the ACA debate. Perhaps tea party types are terrified of the majority deciding sometime soon that there really is no reason for Mr. Collett to have ten children, especially during a time of mass unemployment.

  • norapettingill

    Yes, we Americans have decided to invest in the health of our citizens. But we feel the same about fiscal health. Balance please.

    • Lady Willpower

      Maybe the Rs should stop funding wars with credit cards, then.

    • Churchlady320

      When the GOP repay the billions taken from Social Security by Reagan and Ford for their ‘little wars’ we can talk about fiscal health.

  • http://www.virtualassistantmoms.com Stephanie Watson

    See, this is why they think other people are dishonest. It’s like when thieves have home security, or hold on to their wallet or purse extra tight. They think everyone is just like them. What a joke.

  • Lady Willpower

    I dunno, I read a lot of infuriatingly stupid shit.

    • Nick L.

      Haha, I resemble this comment. I think hate-reading is an addiction.

  • Jennifer Jones

    He’s probably against vaccinations, too! Can’t wait for one of the brood to come down with whooping cough, etc. If he’s a software developer, does he use the internet? That’s a gov’ment development with all his stolen money.

  • Trip Affleck

    hey Greg, do you pay state mandated Car insurance? yeh? dope.

    • Radley5

      He probably doesn’t.

      Trip wins! Flawless victory!

    • Churchlady320

      Possibly NOT. He may be a Tim McVeigh type who finds licenses and car/highway regulations “Persecution” and refuses to comply. One fine day we may hear of his driving on the wrong side of the interstate because going to the correct side violated his right to a short cut.

    • Ipsophakto

      Car insurance isn’t parallel to healthcare insurance. Highways and roads are a common resource. A drivers license is a privilege not a right.

      • shapenaji

        Believe it or not, your health impacts me. Especially if you don’t have insurance. ER costs get passed along to me, which means I get to pay for the uninsured, just like with my car.

    • KarenJ

      Actually, Idaho has rather minor citation fees for such things as going over the interstate speed limit of 75MPH ($47 – 1 to 20mph over the posted speed limit), and not using seatbelts for either oneself (driver) or even youngsters (only $10 for driver).

      http://idaho.drivinguniversity.com/speeding-tickets/idaho-speed-limits/

      According to this site, liability insurance is all that’s required for Idaho drivers. All the other standard auto insurance coverage is either optional, or can be rejected with a written document.

      http://www.doi.idaho.gov/consumer/basic_coverages.aspx

  • kfreed

    Funny you should mention home-shooling and 10 children. Scratch this guy with a toothpick and you’ll find a right-wing religious fundamentalist. Bet me.

    Until liberals/progressives wrap brains around some fundamental realities and begin educating yourselves and the public on it, you’re not going to make a dent in the Tea Party mythology that people (voters) in their millions, LIKE THIS GUY, lap up daily. You think this is unbelievable because you don’t understand where these Tea Party nutters get their ideas. If liberals understood where this guy is coming from, we’d be better equipped to fend it off:

    Talk To Action: “Tea Party ideology is not new but taps into decades of Religious Right instruction on “Biblical Capitalism.”
    http://www.talk2action.org/story/2011/2/1/132159/0192

    Pew Research Center: “The Tea Party and [Fundamentalist] Religion”
    http://www.pewforum.org/2011/02/23/tea-party-and-religion/

    ****This is not some fly-by-night website, serious research going on here.

    Nor is this one (daily updates): http://www.rightwingwatch.org/

    • Radley5

      I get it. I grew up with it. Thank god I got out alive!

      • kfreed

        Then you know. Unfortunately, most people don’t. Thus we now have these nutters strutting around Congress and state legislatures like prize turkeys ready and willing to tank the federal government… and the rest of us along with it.

        • Radley5

          My father was first a fan of Ayn Rand, then a John Birch Society member, and later a Creation Scientist. He is one of the miserable people behind the science standards changes in the state of Kansas several years back that became the laughing stock of the nation. But, I get it. These people are growing their flocks, they “Train Up” their children, and they are preparing themselves to take over the country and enslave the rest of us. When I read Margaret Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” many years ago, I knew it was prophecy, and I have been terrified ever since.

          • kfreed

            “My father was first a fan of Ayn Rand, then a John Birch Society member, and later a Creation Scientist.”

            I’m so sorry about that. What an experience that must have been. You just nailed the Tea Party triumvirate. We ask ourselves how these three things fit together and can’t understand it. To them, it makes perfect sense because they’ve marinated in it for so long:)

            We can fix it. We just need to get it together:)

          • Radley5

            There is a light. I see it too. Many of us have escaped.

          • kfreed

            So I hear:)

            “No Longer Quivering: Breaking Out Of The Movement (Army Of Kids In Tow)”
            http://jezebel.com/5402486/no-longer-quivering-breaking-out-of-the-movement-army-of-kids-in-tow

            Do you follow>>>Vicky Garrison @NoQuivering (?)

          • Radley5

            Awful. I cringe when I read these stories or anything about my father on the internet. I was lucky from the start because my once naive mother got the hell away from this man when I was 7 years old. Of course, the courts said my brother and I had to spend weekends with him which was hell, but we did have some semblance of a normal life, during the week anyway. It still made me ill and crazy in my youth, and I did not make the final break from him until age 20. I have never regretted it.

            I think the scariest thing about people like my father is that he was highly educated, worked for IBM, made six figures, wore expensive suits, we went to good schools (thank the baby jesus!!), and had three squares a day. It just goes to show us that these people are not just uneducated, country bumpkins who don’t know any better. These people are everywhere, and I still come across them all the time.

            I am a social worker now, and I work in child welfare. I work with parents who should have never been parents, serious addictions, trauma histories, living off the dole, etc. Many of these people tell me they are conservatives and hate liberals and people living off the government. They have no idea that they are the people they hate. What has the world come to?? I ask that question in jest. I know that the conservative machine in conjunction with the Christian Soldier Brigade has done a far better job at spreading their message than we have. Their tactics are underhanded and shameful, but they know they can appeal to the uneducated and the poor. That’s why they perpetuate the class system. The real people behind this movement are not uneducated or poor. Their moves are very calculated. They are smart but ignorant at the same time. They have waited for Armageddon so long, they will no longer wait. They will bring it themselves.

          • kfreed

            I get it… like the Scientology cult, the Religious Right courts people in business via what they refer to as “Workplace Apostles” or “Market Apostles”
            … people we would assume immune to their tripe:
            http://www.talk2action.org/story/2013/3/20/142944/066

            Why they do it: “As progressives, we are well aware of the role of the Religious Right in issues such as gay rights and women’s rights. However, the Religious Right’s war on progressive economic policy, regulation, progressive tax structures, and labor unions is often overlooked. Radical free market ideology is being taught to students and adults as a biblical mandate and those in opposition are being literally demonized. Revisionist textbooks rewriting science and social sciences to align with literal biblical interpretations, are widely used in homeschooling, some private schools, and also by “family values” organizations and adult seminars.”

            http://www.talk2action.org/story/2010/2/10/223656/720

          • Jennifer Jones

            You are absolutely right. I just read a great analysis of the people who are Republicans and 50% were religiously motivated, but they like the Tea Party because the “stand up” to the democrats and use silly slogans like “freedom”, “small government” and “independen.” Tea partiers are only 22% of RWNJs, most are fundamentalists morons who incorrectly spell “moran.” Check out the sign.

          • feloniousgrammar

            Good for you. I escaped for different reasons, but like you, have no regrets. A lot of people just don’t get it. I do, and am glad you got out from under it. In a lot of families a person is doomed to a role that wastes their gifts, energy, and self-hood.

            The Handmaid’s Tale should be required reading in this country. Unfortunately, many would consider it a “How To Manual”. The story gave me chills too but not because it was the future (it certainly is one possibility) but because aspects of that horrific society were already in place.

        • Radley5

          Oh, and when my mother divorced my father and my brother and I were removed from him by the courts, he married another woman and they have three children who were never allowed off of his farm…home-schooled and the whole business. He told me when I ended our relationship that he screwed up by not being a fully born-again Christian when we were little. He said if he would have been, he would have never let us go to school or leave his property because then we would not have been corrupted by the world. I personally thought he was corrupted, even as a kid. He told me that women only have two jobs in this world…to take care of men and have babies. He told me he would never pay one dime for me to go to college because women have no business going to college. I laughed and wanted to spit in his face at the time, but now, in the age of the Tea Party, I am afraid. Very afraid.

          • kfreed

            Yes, that’s exactly how it works. Breeding ignorance and contempt… literally.

            Why I keep posting this stuff… over and over again:)

            You’re a lucky woman… can’t express that vehemently enough. Glad you broke free.

        • Badgerite

          Still, the votes,even Republican votes, would have been there for a clean budget resolution had John Boehner called a vote. It is the Republican leadership who caved to these people and let them put the country through this. And they caved because they are afraid of them. They are more afraid of a primary challenge from the TP right than they are of starting a world wide depression. Your modern day GOP, ladies and gentlemen. You gotta love ‘um. Or else!

          • kfreed

            They’re all in it together, their “Starve the Beast” wet dream come true:

            “Eric Cantor Has Rigged The Rules of the House So That The Government Stays Shut Down”

            “Boehner lied that he did not want a government shutdown and continued his lies when Republicans offered to raise the debt limit for 6 weeks, but only if they can keep the government closed. Boehner, like his conservative cheerleaders, wants to punish federal workers by raiding their pensions and giving the proceeds to the rich in the form of tax reform (tax cuts for the rich). Nearly two months ago Boehner revealed his animus toward federal workers and Social Security retirees when he claimed Republicans would wage “a whale of a fight” to drastically cut Federal employees’ pensions and slash Social Security as a prelude to either abolishing pensions all together or transferring pension reserves directly to Wall Street to squander in the next market crash.”>>> a bit hyperbolic, but you get the idea.

            http://www.politicususa.com/2013/10/11/eric-cantor-rigged-rules-house-government-stays-shut.html

          • kfreed

            I’m too ppoped at the moment to flesh this out so… what (s)he said will have to suffice for now:)

          • Badgerite

            Thanks for the link. It was very enlightening.
            My God. These guys talk like old time slaver owners. I fully expected Stuart Varney to next propose a ‘good whipping’ for these lazy good for nothing people who don’t consider it a privilege to work for him, a man of great honor, without expecting to be paid.

            A quote from the link:
            “The right went ballistic when the Congress voted to approve back pay for hundreds of thousands of federal workers who are working without pay during the REPUBLICAN shutdown, and they are livid the workers will be given back pay for their work after the shutdown is finished.”
            “Fox News Stuart Varney was beside himself at the vote to pay government workers and said, ” No, I don’t think that they should get their back pay, frankly, I really don’t. I’m sick and tired of them living on our backs, taking money out of us. I want to punish these people.”

            Well, yes, massa, we’s really sorry to have riled you. We knows you don’t like to be disturbed with anything difficult, like that there tornado or flood wreckage of salmonella outbreaks, and all. Forgive us. We knows we should feel privileged to be allowed to clean up the messes without bothering you about getting paid and all. And them NASA people. They’s the worst.

            Being proud of being rotten is called being shameless. It is misdirection, of course. They are apparently desperate for people not to realize that the people in Congress who brought us this shutdown (REPUBLICAN SHUTDOWN 2.0) are collecting THEIR paychecks and complaining of the hardship of having to reuse the same towels in the Congressional sauna, where they go to unwind after a hard day of —— shutdown.

          • kfreed

            You said it. Disgusting, isn’t it? And you’re welcome. In the meantime, the Tea Party is planning a performance art piece in D.C.:

            “This Saturday you can join Senator Mike Lee, Glenn Beck, FreedomWorks, and Tea Party Patriots and in a National Day of Service!… Fix Up DC and Keep Pressure on Congress”
            http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=378811b3c052d40a005861416&id=f1358fc48b&e=abc1a3006b

          • KarenJ

            I kinda figured the Tea Party “Patriot” RWNJs wouldn’t go into the inner city of Washington D.C. to “fix up DC” last Saturday October 12th. Nah, they posed for pictures and sashayed around the WWII memorial and other monuments around the Capital area — where the media was.

            http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2013/10/hundreds-of-activists-join-freedomworks-glenn-beck-senator-mike-lee-tea-party-patriots-for-a-fix-up-dc-day-of-service-2732180.html

          • kfreed

            What on earth would make you think they were planning on doing anything constructive? :)
            Staging photo ops isn’t all they did…

            Video: http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato/million-vet-march-organizers-pissed-tea

          • feloniousgrammar

            It’s insane and a grave injustice for humanity that John Boehner has that kind of power. Secretary of Treasury Lew explained a little of the history of the debt limit enough that I imagine that it’s not going to be necessary for Congress to vote to raise it for long. fingers crossed

            Do you have a link to Lew’s explanation? I want to read it (or view it).

          • feloniousgrammar
  • Radley5

    This asshole doesn’t pay one dime in Federal taxes with his 10 (11) deductions. His kids wouldn’t be on Medicaid if he did. He is the epitome of what is wrong with this country. He needs to be neutered for sure

    • KarenJ

      He’s only fathered 2 natural children. The rest are adopted.

      His problems are above the neck, not below the waist.

  • villemar

    We should forcibly airlift him and his idiot brood smack dab in the middle of Downtown Mogadishu in the middle of the night. Unleash him from the horrible yoke of government once and for all.

    • Ipsophakto

      Or make the liberals perpetually try to register for obamacare. Train wreck training.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Feel sorry for those kids. I’m willing to bet he’s teaching them creationism, too.

    • Ipsophakto

      Obama is a Christian, yes? Reverend Jeremiah wright?

      • D_C_Wilson

        And? You are aware that not all Christians are creationists, right?

  • Pink No More

    Typical con. Leech all you can, but say you’re against it.

    Throw him out at the border and be done with it. We need to cut down on the con leeches in this country.

    • Razor

      Exactly. Remember, black people on welfare are “moochers” and “takers.” White people on welfare are just “getting their money back.”

      • Susan Lowry

        Oh good grief. Someone always has to bring race into it. :/

        • BigShinyNosehair

          Oh good grief. Someone can’t comprehend the difference between ‘bringing race into it’ and pointing out the already-existing racism that is the foundation for popular right wing myths.

          • Churchlady320

            Ms. Lowry was being ironic.

          • Ipsophakto

            You’re the one in myth-land.

        • Razor

          You’re right… generally people who share the views of Mr. Collett.

        • Carmen Salgado

          Razor is right. During Katrina, Blacks were loitering and Whites were hungry. You may be in denial, Susan but, it’s definitely about race/demographics.

    • KarenJ

      If he gets thrown out at the border, make it eastward. We don’t want him here in Oregon. Well, maybe Rep. Greg Walden would want another RWNJ in his district, which covers the entire east-of-Cascades part of the state.

  • moelarryandjesus

    And of course he has 10 tax deductions so he probably pays nothing in taxes.
    He’s an ungrateful, selfish prick.