Now Hear This: Celebrating One of the Most Iconic Albums in Rock

Yesterday marked the 36th anniversary of the debut of an album that lit rock-and-roll, such as it was, on fire. On October 28th of 1977, the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Yesterday marked the 36th anniversary of the debut of an album that lit rock-and-roll, such as it was, on fire. On October 28th of 1977, the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols.
Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 10.14.09 AM

Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 10.09.58 AM

Yesterday marked the 36th anniversary of the debut of an album that lit rock-and-roll, such as it was, on fire. On October 28th of 1977, the Sex Pistols released Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols.

Brash, ballsy, and brilliant from start to finish, Never Mind the Bollocks was unlike anything anyone had heard before. A true smack in polite society's face from the angry, nihilistic underbelly of Britain's youth. One big fuck-you just for the sake of saying fuck you.

It's fascinating to look back on the album now and realize, despite the Pistols' rebellious DIY image, how much actual musicianship and production went into making Bollocks. It's punk, but it sounds pretty damn good. Granted the record was recorded with Glen Matlock co-writing songs rather than the more famous Sid Vicious, who took his place soon after the album was finished.

Regardless, Bollocks remains an iconic record -- the Pistols' only full-length release and one of the most influential rock albums ever recorded. And it sounds as gleefully corrosive today as it did when it first dropped on an unsuspecting planet 36 years ago.

Here's Holidays in the Sun.

By the way, I didn't see this but over the weekend it started making the rounds that in the new issue of Cosmo, Miley Cyrus says, "It's almost punk rock to like me." I guess now we know what killed Lou Reed.