Now Hear This: Amanda Palmer Is NSFW

Amanda Palmer is a divisive presence in music. For some, she's a ferociously artistic firebrand who refuses to play by anyone's rules but her own and who's one of rock's last true fearless free spirits. For others, her act is nothing more than an exaggerated version of the shameless self-worship we see from every other pop star.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Amanda Palmer is a divisive presence in music. For some, she's a ferociously artistic firebrand who refuses to play by anyone's rules but her own and who's one of rock's last true fearless free spirits. For others, her act is nothing more than an exaggerated version of the shameless self-worship we see from every other pop star.
Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 9.13.43 AM

amanda palmer

Amanda Palmer is a divisive presence in music. For some, she's a ferociously artistic firebrand who refuses to play by anyone's rules but her own and who's one of rock's last true fearless free spirits. For others, her act is nothing more than an exaggerated version of the shameless self-worship we see from every other pop star, only cast as somehow more "real" and less prepackaged than her contemporaries. Put it this way, she's naked in public more often than Miley Cyrus could ever hope to be, but Sinead O'Connor would never be able to get away with accusing Palmer of being used by anybody.

Here's the thing: Amanda Palmer is probably both of these extremes, and more. I give her credit because right now there's nobody out there quite like her -- and besides, when you break it down to the barest of essentials, no pun intended, her music is really damn good and she puts on a hell of a live show. She's a creative force of nature, even if it's so in-your-face that it can grate if not taken in small doses.

Here's her and her "Grand Theft Orchestra"'s latest single, along with a video that, as expected, is anything but safe for work.

It's Do It With a Rockstar.

Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra “Do It With a Rockstar” (FULL UNCENSORED - NSFW) from Amanda Palmer on Vimeo.

By the way, no sooner had I written this than this bounced across my feed: Amanda Palmer doing a mash-up of Sinead O'Connor and Miley Cyrus. This, it could be argued, is the self-promoting part of Palmer making itself known front and center. Although, who knows? Who says there's anything wrong with doing songs about people in the news? It's not her problem if the thing is destined to make it to YouTube and be written about on music sites.